Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8.1 action center.??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I have HP pavillion 20. At one time I was going to transfer my files to a cd or usb. I changed my mind. Now I have a message in the Action Center that I don't know how to get rid of. The message under "insert removable media" is...windows needs a back up cd/dvd or usb to continue. Its not hurting anything but I get tired of seeing that notice in my taskbar. Ideas anyone? Don't see a problem like this in their listings nor a place to go for support. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hello, let's see if I can help you out.

It has been a while since I last used Windows 8.1, but hopefully I can get you to where you want to go to stop that message from displaying. 

On the Windows 8 desktop, can you see a little white flag located next to the clock on your system tray?

Click that and choose Open Action Center.

Once you are in the action center window, look for maintenance It should be under Security, now click the arrow on the right and maintenance should expand.

Look for Turn Off Messages About Windows Backup and click it. (Note: This can always be turned back on from the same location.)

Once you have done this, the message should stop appearing.

Please let me know if this fixed the problem.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

I followed your instructions. Got Maintenance to expand. Couldn't find "messages about windows backup"...What would it be under?. The message about the "need  removable media" is there but I can't find a way to remove it. What am I missing?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

Okay please check this link for more details.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/16089-backup-schedule-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 June 2014 - 08:59 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks so much. The flag with the red x is gone. thanks to your input. I printed out that last tut cause I might want to turn it back on. I don't know why stuff with those warnings bother me so much but they do. It would be nice if the computers could stay nice and neat, minimum amount of "stuff" but after its a year or so old it starts getting cluttered again. Appreciate your help. 

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

No problem, I would have liked to provide my own directions for you to follow, however, other than using a 'BETA' version of Windows 8.0 before MS released it as an official release candidate, I have not really had much prolonged use of it.

I know enough about it, so if I was working on someone else's computer in person, I can get by pretty well in navigating through Window 8's hidden features. 

Either way, you're most welcomed for the help you have received from me. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users