Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about my SSD and HDD set up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cali4nia

cali4nia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello,

I am in the process of getting my new computer set up but something is confusing me about how it is storing information and would like to know if I need to change some things or not?

My computer is a Lenovo X700 Intel Core i7 12GB DDR3 1TB + 128GB SSD GTX 660 1.5GB

Hard Drive HDD  1TB HDD + 128GB SSD HDD Interface  SATA III HDD RPM  7200rpm

When I download anything frm the internet or save a file it goes to my SSD, which is where Windows8 is also stored, but that drive is only 128GB so it came to me at almost 50%  capacity used due to Windows. Wouldn't it make more sense for me to save my photos, files, etc. on the much larger 1TB HDD? I would have expected the computer to come set up to save my files on the 1TB but it is actually set up for files to save to my SSD. Am I over thinking this or do I need to change some settings?

Thank you, in advance, for any insight you can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2014 - 04:37 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

You can always move the files from the SSD to the other drive.

I don't know anything about Win 8, but that option is always available.

Another option:  Change Location of Win 8 Downloads Folder .

Louis

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

You have to manually move the location of your save folders.

Create folders on your HHD (ex. Documents, Photos, etc.).

On your SSD, right-click on each library folders and select Properties. On location tab, select "Move" and browse to the desired save folder on the HHD. I think it will also ask you to move all the existing files to the new location and select "Yes". Your original library folders will not be deleted but next time you save, it will all go to the new save location on the HHD.

location.jpg

Edited by badr0b0t, 22 June 2014 - 07:55 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 cali4nia

cali4nia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thank you both for your help! I will manually change it-I wonder why they didn't set it up that way to begin with? Strange but looks like a simple fix :thumbup2:

-Much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users