Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop battery replacement - manufacturer or other?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Should I replace my laptop battery using only one made by the manufacturer?

My laptop (Toshiba Satellite L755) is 2.5 years old, and I've started getting the message from Windows 7 that I should "Consider replacing your battery".  This means that the battery is holding less than 40% of the charge it held when new I've learned, so I've started looking around.  I see Toshiba wants $75, Micro Center has one for $50, and Amazon has them as cheap as $16.59.

That's some price range!  I've seen a number of posts in various places suggesting you should only get batteries from the manufacturer.  Obviously that would be the safest, but the price range from $16.59 to $75 sure tempts me try the lower priced one.  I've never replaced a laptop battery before, so I seek the advice of someone who's really in the know about this.  What's the risk?  TIA

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Battery is the life of any device. The price of the one from Toshiba may seem too steep but you will surely the get the best performance out of it. Definitely the $16+ is out. I would never consider it. But getting the one from Micro center may only last half the life of the Toshiba so in the end, it will cost you more. It's like getting 2X$50. Just go with the Toshiba. I would if I were you.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Well...my thinking is...if I use the laptop only with the battery a lot...then go with something reliable.  If I really don't use the battery...or use it sparingly...I'd go with something cheap.

I hardly ever use my laptop and I've only run it on battery power just to see how long it would a charge...it's not important for my use of the laptop.

Louis

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks guys.  I think you both make sense.  Louis my laptop use is close to yours, especially since I've gotten a decent tablet now.  I can still get over an hour's use out of this aging battery with the brightness turned up and a lot of tasks running; and when I go to some place like the doctor's office, it's so much more convenient to just carry the tablet.  By the way Texas is a great state, you can't beat the steaks you get there.  The only problem I have with the food there is folks think barbecue is beef!   :bananas:

badr0b0t, I'll get the Toshiba battery when I'm ready to replace it in a few more months.  And here I was ready to save 4 months worth of beer money.  :idea: Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

Edited by wpgwpg, 21 June 2014 - 03:12 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

I have a 5 year old HP laptop too that needs battery replacement but I don't bother because I also have a hybrid tablet (ASUS T100). But I don't want to dispose the laptop yet (running Vista dual boot with Linux Mint 17) as I sometimes use it for testing out Linux OSes. I just keep it plugged in when I'm using it. :)

Edited by badr0b0t, 21 June 2014 - 05:22 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users