Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Extracting Old Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pzesst

Pzesst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hello everyone, I'm not entirely sure if this question really qualifies as Internal or External:

I have removed the hard drive out of my old laptop computer (A Dell Inspiron n7110) and have it connected to my new laptop (HP EliteBook 8770w) via SATA cable. I have everything hooked up correctly and when I tried to open the drive from my EliteBook, I receive a message telling me that the old hard drive has to be formatted in order to access it.This caused me to hesitate since my understanding of the word "format" means to erase all of the data on the drive and I would not like to risk losing the files entirely. 

Clicking Cancel brings up this error message: 

"The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Please make sure that all required system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

I have scanned the drive using Malwarebytes and again using Essentials, both scans came up clean.

Any suggestions on what I should do from here?  Thank you all in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

How does the drive show in Disk Management? Is it listed as RAW? I was wondering how you attached the SATA drive to the notebook with the power and data SATA cables. You are right though, you do not want to format the drive.

#3 Pzesst

Pzesst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

Yes, it is listed as RAW.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Here is a link on how to use TestDisk if the drive is RAW. In the link it describes using PartedMagic, a linux disk, but you would be able to use TestDisk for Windows. If you can list the files with the "P" key, you can copy them to your other drive. Use the left and right arrow keys to browse to the directory you wish to copy to. The default location is the folder you unzipped Testdisk for Windows to. You select the folders and files with the ":" key. After your important files are copied, we can see if writing a new partition table will bring the drive back.  If you have any questions, post back and I will try to explain in more detail.

Test Disk step by step

#5 Pzesst

Pzesst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Much appreciated, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users