Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts on my Gaming build?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brad1015

brad1015

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I haven't bought the parts yet, I've been doing research and what not for the last few days. I just wanted to hear some peoples thoughts and suggestions. I'm trying to keep it under ~$500.00 I might go up a little more. This is also my first time building a computer so any others suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a link to all of the parts, if that doesn't work there is a list below

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/W3gmFT

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 1GB Video Card

Inwin GT1 White ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm going to run windows 7, I might partition and run linux also. I haven't looked at extra fans or the thermal paste yet if you were wondering where that was on the list. 

And if you notice the graphics card is a pcie 3.0 x 8 but the motherboard only has a pcie 2.0 x16, from my understanding that will work and fit. I'm not sure how secure it will be in the motherboard though. 

Have I overlooked anything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

It looks like you have everything.  You don't need to worry about the thermal paste since it comes with the cooler.  What games are you wanting to play and at what graphical level?  Many games focus very heavily on GPU performance, if it is within your budget, I'd suggest getting a better graphics card, such as the XFX R7-260X-CNF4 Core Edition Radeon R7 260X 2GB or the XFX Double D R9-270A-CDFC Radeon R9 270 2GB if your budget allows.

3939.png

#3 brad1015

brad1015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

Thank you for the response! Here is my updated part list.   http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tLzwkL

I took out the SDD, do you think the speed is worth it and I should put it back in? 

I would really like to play at the high or ultra settings for most games but, I'm not going to want the computer to cost much more than what I have it as right now. With this setup how high do you think I will be able to get it? And I will be playing Battlefield 4, Assassins creed, Starcraft II, Minecraft and more. I'm not completely sure what else at the moment haha.

Also I asked on another forum and I got a this setup as a response, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zbYqBm.  

I was under the impression that 4 GB isn't enough for gaming and that you should keep it at 8 GB, what do you think?

And is there anything wrong with the case I picked compared to the one he put in there? 

Thank you!

#4 brad1015

brad1015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Also do you think it is worth it to upgrade to the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor? I was getting the AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor because I am close to the Micro Center store and can get it for the cheep in store price. Do you think it will bottleneck the XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card? I don't think it will but I really don't have the experience to know, only what I have read.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hi, the part list that was provided by the other forum is great in terms of performance and price although that 4GB will be a issue as games like BF4 will max out and bottleneck it. I would add the 8GB of ram to that list and settle with that setup but also a SSD is optional and you can always get it at a later date.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

Adding an SSD was probably one of the more drastic changes I made to my gaming rig. It really does make a difference with load times and boot times, although I only recommend keeping 1 or 2 games that you play ALL the time on it.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

The SSD will certainly help boot and load times, however, once a program or asset has been loaded into memory, the drive will not be accessed as much.  Recent versions of Windows load heavily used programs into memory so having plenty of RAM is a good idea.

As for whether or not to get the FX-6000 processor, I say go for it if the price is affordable.  AMD's FX processors aren't extremely powerful so getting the best you can afford is always nice.

Both of the cases are fine, however, if a case has additional windows or fans it will be louder.  Aluminum cases are also of higher quality, Lian-Li makes some great cases.  The Corsair case does seem to be of slightly better value and is more my style, but it is ultimately your choice.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users