Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information Re Veterans

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:58 AM

Although I've never 'passed info on' before, I do hope it's all right that I am posting this here ... the below information is quoted directly from the 'Kim Komando' site (she is a reputable computer info source with newshows and radio shows in the United States for several years now) - plus there is a direct US Government link included in the below quote, as well.

I've been the victim of 'stolen identity' a few years ago and it surely no fun at all, so was hoping very hard that this news source was somehow incorrect. Sadly, it seems very true and a dear friend who is a 'Seal' in the States has told us they have received a notice of this themselves - so I am hoping no one minds that I've put this here at our computer site.

Kind thoughts,
Mara

"DATA ON 26.5 MILLION VETERANS STOLEN
This week, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced that a computer
containing personal information on more than 26 million veterans and
their spouses was stolen. The loss included Social Security numbers.
This is probably the biggest reported potential identity theft ever.

The computer was stolen from the house of a data analyst who was not authorized to
remove data from his office. I guess that's not surprising; the VA is
reportedly among the lowest-ranked government agencies for computer
security. This is disgraceful!

The data includes information on service members back to 1975.

You can also call the government at 800-333-4636 or visit its Web site:
http://www.firstgov.gov "

//Mod edit to set BBcode tags

Edited by KoanYorel, 28 May 2006 - 01:14 AM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:15 AM

Sorry to say, but it's true.
There are already a couple of posts here, about this, that you might find interesting:
Attention Veterans : Now Hear This, Possible ID theft
Personal Data Of 26.5 Million Veterans Stolen

Edited by tg1911, 28 May 2006 - 01:16 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

I still would enjoy having a three leg race to the nearest proctologist with the idiot who left an unecrypted computer sitting around their house with that kind of information on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users