Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove hard drive cover without screws?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi  I have a laptop and it needs a new hard drive.  It is a newer hp laptop and it has no screws on the bottom to get into the hard drive compartment, ram etc..    This is the first time i have ever tried to work on a computer with no screws?  How do i reove the hard drive panel to replace the hard drive?  thans

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Every laptop is made differently.  You need to ask HP.  You can probably find some info in your user guide and on the HP web site - look for a maintenance guide on the web site.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

i dont have a user guide.  it is  friend's laptop. usually there are srews to un screww the hard drive comprtment and etc but there are no screws to get into anything.   do i just pry them open?.   

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

If you provide the model number that could be more helpful.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Many need the key board removed to begin access to the bottom release screws, a diagram is essential!  You may find a tear down for it on youtube.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

You can download the user guide from the HP web site assuming you know the model no.  Nobody can tell you how to open it without the proper documentation.

P.S.  Contrary to what some believe, it won't give you leprosy to read these guides.   :bananas:

Edited by wpgwpg, 21 June 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

If it's like some of the other HP models, remove the memory module cover (2 screws). After lifting up the memory module cover, you should see a screw holding the hard drive cover.

Edit: I believe the battery has to be removed before you can access the memory module cover.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

I believe the battery has to be removed before you can access the memory module cover.

When ever you open a PC, You should disconnect the power and also remove the battery, Before opening the case. You wouldn't want to say drop a screw and have it fall on some active part, Once its taken apart if you need power use the power lead instead of the battery, In an emergency it is easier to yank the power chord than the battery.

Edited by NickAu1, 21 June 2014 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users