Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB files not opening

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PinkVaKe

PinkVaKe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hello, guys!

I'm so desperately need your help with my USB because it's very important to me! So, there it is. I have my 8GB USB for a while  and it worked just fine. I upload a lot of very important files, pictures and suddenly, few weeks ago, I tried to open and files is not opening.

The names of files are completely different, and it's looks like the files are even empty.. I tried everything, but nothing worked. Click on these links and you'll see how everything looks like:

So, how should I fix this problem??

Thank you soo much for Your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Ouch!  I feel your pain.  You could try the flash drive on other computers in hopes of getting lucky.  However like everything else, flash drives do wear out after a lot of use, and it sounds like that's the case here.  I'd love to be wrong, but if other computers have the same problem, I'm afraid the news is not so good.  Remember that for anything you value, you need to keep at least two copies around, some recommend three.  I keep three myself.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 PinkVaKe

PinkVaKe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I tried on many computers actually, but USB not working on all of them. My USB about one and a half years old, so probably not so old like it's sound in first place. I was silly enough not to have copies, so it's on the other hand, my fault. 

But maybe there is other suggestions? 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

It's not so much the age of the flash drive as it is the number of writes done to it.  Also some last longer than others.  I've read that some of the Asian drives can wear out after only a few hundred writes.  I always buy the cheapest ones from Micro Center so I guess I've been lucky, I've only had one of these to go bad on me.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 PinkVaKe

PinkVaKe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

My USB is Adata, I just found out that it's Chinese. Well, it's no surprise.. But I still do believe that there is the way to fix it!

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

have a look at this.

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-28692-how-to-retrieve-lost-files-in-flash-drives

Edited by Wolverine 7, 21 June 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#7 PinkVaKe

PinkVaKe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

Thank you for this, but no. My files aren't hidden. I tried to go to RUN and type attrib etc. It's don't work.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I believe the files are beyond retrieving but you can try Testdisk to see if it can detect the partition and your files. Download TestDisk for Windows. Run it, select your Flash Drive and do a Quick Search. If it finds a partition, select it and then press "P'. Can you see your files on the flash drive?

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Yes i was going to sugest Tesdisk it does a great recovery if it can.The files are still on the drive even if you cant see them,i havnt seen files that look like that though.Hope something works,i gues theirs always pro recovery if its that important.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

From what I have read one of the most common causes is the crystal going bad causing a timing issue.  In the links below are several explanations and how t of fix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thumb+drive+crystal+replacement&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Not an answer, but just a way to plan and avoid the problem:

After a few or several months, copy the whole usb flash drive to a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users