Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request information please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy9108

Nancy9108

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

I have been running AVAST for the past 2 years.  They, however, said I have more problems with my computer and charged me $179.99 to get additional assistance.  After about 2 hours they made my computer worse and at the end told me I would receive a refund.  2 months later I am told I will not get a refund, so I have put in a fraud complaint into my credit card.

I am of the mind to stop using AVAST for my  antivirus program and firewall.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best software to use for antivirus and firewall.  I previously have used Norton, however, when I did it did not catch the rootkit trojan I obtained last November.

Thank you for any assistance.

Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Depends on your version of Windows & you neglected to say.  

If your ISP provides free antivirus, you could use that.  I get Norton Security Suite free from Comcast.  I've also had good luck with the free AVG.  With Windows 8.1 I use Defender which has MSE (MS Security Essentials) built into it.  For firewalls I use a hardware one in my router and the Windows software firewall.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Thank you very much.  I use Windows 7.    Last year I used the Norton Security Suite but it did not stop the rootkit trojan that I obtained.  How do you put a firewall hardware onto my router?

Thank you for your help.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

You could also ask your credit card company who exactly the payment was made to

It wasn't for Avast but one of my friends paid $200 to have problems fixed on her computer

--- When she told me about it I recommended she ask her credit card company who exactly the payment was made to

--- It turned out it wasn't paid to the company she thought, it was paid to some company in Australia which was one of the scam companies abounding out there

Edited by cmptrgy, 21 June 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Hello Nancy9108:

Now that you are the wiser for your unfortunate experience, I hope you now realize that you are already logged on to one of the world's best Malware Removal resources.

Some of the very best world class, best-in-breed, Anti-Virus applications are freeware, and they may be researched elsewhere on this site where the final choice is always yours with the freedom to change A-Vs every hour/day/week/month if you like.

Cheers. :)

Edited by 1PW, 21 June 2014 - 01:53 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018