Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Keyboard and Mouse not working during start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lilithene

Lilithene

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

So a few nights ago this first happened. I turned off my computer before bed, and in the morning I got up, pressed the power button and noticed the lights on my keyboard didn't start. Needless to say I was unable to use my keyboard or my mouse. Both of which use USB connections, my mouse is a wireless Logitech mouse and my keyboard is a wired dell keyboard. After restarting my computer about 5 or 6 times it randomly worked again. Now please note, it didn't work while booting up the BIOS, so I was unable to start up in safe mode. Eventually through all my frustration I decided to format my drives as it was something I had been meaning to do anyways. I did this 3 days ago. Now once again, I went to bed last night and started my computer. Both the mouse and keyboard aren't working once again, I am unable to get into the BIOS or start in safe mode. No lights on the keyboard, and lastly I just replaced the battery in the mouse, twice, it isn't dead. Any suggestions on why this is happening? On a side note, I have moved the USB ports around, and there is no combination that allows for them to work. Lastly my wireless headset still works properly as does my microphone. I am currently running Windows 7 64bit, Home Professional. The computer is fully updated, and the drivers are all as well. The only thing I can think of is maybe the keyboard is shot as it is a few years old now.

Edited by Lilithene, 21 June 2014 - 09:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Try replacing the CMOS battery in the computer. Do you have a PS2 keyboard port on the computer?

#3 Lilithene

Lilithene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

I do have PS2 keyboard ports on the back of the computer, however I do not have a keyboard with a PS2 connector. I don't think I've got an extra battery for the CMOS but I will try doing a reset on it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

A reset may work but the battery for the desktop, which I believe it is, requires a Cr2032 button battery. If you can get to BIOS, make sure Legacy USB is enabled.

You could rule out a hardware problem by booting a small linux distro. I like Puppy because it is a small download and compatible with a lot of devices. If you boot Puppy and your keyboard and hopefully wireless mouse is detected then you know it is a hardware problem most likely as you have already did a clean install of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users