Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Try to figure out how to edit wireless network settings?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hi, I really don't know much about this...

I am trying to change  the settings to my Wireless Network...?

I am not really sure if I have a modem or a routor or what but I did this:

I opened up CMD and typed ipconfig /all and entered the number that was under Default Gateway into my browser address bar. When I do that, where am I going to, exactly?

Well anyway, when I did that, it surprisingly did not ask me for a username password and just let me on and it says I'm logged in as Administrator. Could that be because I am connected with a wire instead of wireless? Well it seems to let me change some settings but not all. Like I noticed the Firewall says it disabled but when I try to change the settings it says: This level is protected and not editable.

Um yeah I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm not sure how much information I can say about it if it might put me more at risk of being hacked....? Yeah see I really don't know.

Can someone help me understand a bit about how this works or what I am doing?

Thanks and sorry if I didn't explain clearly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

To change settings on a modem/router don't you need to log into the modem/router using say a browser? When I log into my router I punch in 197.174.0.1 into the address bar on my browser hit enter, then it asks for user name and password, after entering that, I am free to mess up my router/modem any way I want.

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:31 AM

Yeah thats what I did, I typed in the address that was under Default Gateway but it did not ask for a user name or password, it just let me in and said I was logged in. Could that be because I am connected with a wire? And not wireless? What have I done wrong?

Edited by I have a computer..., 22 June 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

Wait 1...197.174.0.1 The number that looks like this and you type or copy paste into your browser where did you get it? From a tag under the Modem/Router? From the box it came in? From some other documentation Eg a manual?

Some info on the Modem/Router would help, Eg Make and Model.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

Well anyway, when I did that, it surprisingly did not ask me for a username password and just let me on and it says I'm logged in as Administrator.

No.  You should be asked for a username and password regardless of whether you are connected wired or wirelessly.

To tell whether you have a router, modem or combination of both you should tell us what the make and model is as it would be quite difficult to guess at without some basic info like that.

Also, what is the IP address under Default Gateway?  Bits of info like this may help to figure out what is wrong.

#6 vizz

vizz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:24 PM

Generally, the Default Gateway is the IP of the router you have. Not many but a few I have configured, usually netgear, do not require username or password for initial setup for the device but afterwards it does. The default for routers can be different but most are either: (typed here as username/pass) admin/admin, admin/password, and admin/(blank). If those do not work first check the manual for the default username and password and if what they give you doesn't work then it was somehow changed and you can reset that with a pen or paperclip to press and hold the reset button on the back of the router to change it back to default.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

I think a few things need to be sorted out

What unit is being provided by your ISP? Please post the make & model

--- Does that unit provide wireless capability?

Do you have a wireless router between your ISP unit and your computer?

--- If so please post the make & model

Then do you have a desktop or laptop computer?

--- I don't like to assume, but I suppose you have a laptop with built in wireless

--- Do you have more than 1 computer in your network?

Which unit are you trying to change the settings to your wireless network on?

Since you were not asked for a username & password and says you are logged in as Administrator we need to know which unit you are working on

--- To me this is very important I wouldn't be comfortable with that setup until it's known what's going on so it can be corrected

--- I just recalled I set up a windows 8.1 computer for one of my friends last month and when it was time to connect wirelessly the same thing happened to him: he wasn't asked for a username or password; all he was asked for which connection he wanted to connect to and that was it

--- I told him I wouldn't trust the security on the network he connected to but he didn't care

--- At least you do and that's a good thing

You state "Well it seems to let me change some settings but not all. Like I noticed the Firewall says it disabled but when I try to change the settings it says: This level is protected and not editable."

--- Same idea: which unit does this apply to?

--- If I understand the statement: the only time I've seen something like that is on the ISP provided unit

--- If you are working on the ISP provided unit, I would call your ISP have them ensure correct settings

--- And why are you trying to make changes? - What is your goal?

I'm at my friends house who has Verizon FIOS and his default gateway is 192.168.1.1

--- What happens when you type that in?

You could run www.belarc.com

Then scroll down to the Network Map section and you will see IP address for each one of your units

#8 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Okay let me just tell you I am having trouble with the password.

When I type in the IP address in the browser it lets me in without a prompt for user name and password.

It says I am logged in as Administrator.

When I click on "Switch to another user" it prompts me for user name and password.

After a few attempts I figured out the user name and password and it stopped prompting me then the page reloaded so I guess I did the correct one. But when I go to change the password the one I just entered does not work.

My GOAL is to make it more secure.

Also, If I tell you the IP address, wouldn't that mean YOU can access MY modem? (Or whatever it is)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Well I think I see what you are doing: you are not doing a modem/router

You have a laptop to access the internet wirelessly

The reason you are not being asked for a username or password is because the laptop is already configured to work with your modem/router or whatever you have to connect automatically

When you try to change "Switch to another user", do you mean another wireless connection?

"After a few attempts I figured out the user name and password and it stopped prompting me then the page reloaded so I guess I did the correct one. But when I go to change the password the one I just entered does not work"

--- You cannot change the password from your laptop

--- The password you guessed came from whatever modem/router or whatever is being used and that's where the password needs to be changed

You don't have to post the IP address

As you said your goal s to make your system more secure

Now I might have the wrong explanation of what's going on but that's why we need information based on what's been requested

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users