Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkits on my pc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 genuine_jake

genuine_jake

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:03 AM

Hello! I was out on a pleasant vacation and arrived at home recently. When I sat down by my computer I got a problem, I couldn't open chrome. Everytime I try to launch Google Chrome I get an application error saying "0xc0000022". After looking around a bit on the internet I drew the conclusion that it might be a rootkit on my pc which is causing this.

I tried both Bitdefender and Sophos Anti Rootkit though none of these seems to find any rootkits when I do a full scan yet I still cannot open chrome.

Do you have any suggestions on what else I can do? Is there any other program to use? Is it perhaps not a Rootkit but something completely different?

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Computer make & model, Windows version?  

Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling Chrome?  Another thing you could try would be SFC.  Click Start & in the search box type CMD, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  You could also try Malwarebytes.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

That error usually is related to a permissions issue.

Right click on the Start orb, then click on Explorer.

Click on C: drive, then click on Program files

Right click on Google, then click on Properties.

Click on the Security tab, then click on Edit.

under Permissions for All Application Packages place a check in the box for Full control, click on Apply, then click on ok. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 genuine_jake

genuine_jake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Tried reinstalling it aswell as giving the permissions but none of those worked. Doing the CMD scan for now.

Oh and some numbers:

Name: Fujitsu Esprimo p1500

Win verision: Windows 7 service pack 1 (64 bit)

Later I'll try with Malware bytes

EDIT: And the CMD scanned showed no signs of malware (which is good)

Edited by genuine_jake, 21 June 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

Tried reinstalling it aswell as giving the permissions but none of those worked. Doing the CMD scan for now.

Oh and some numbers:

Which scan are you referring to?

Was this the sfc /scannow?  sfc is a System File Checker which scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

If this is the scan you ran please copy and paste the log in your topic.

Copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 genuine_jake

genuine_jake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oh and some numbers:

Which scan are you referring to?

Was this the sfc /scannow?  sfc is a System File Checker which scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

If this is the scan you ran please copy and paste the log in your topic.

Copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic

I don't get any icon on my desktop, are there any parts of the copy paste text which I have to change? (like for example userprofile) or can I just copy paste directly?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

As long as it is text you should be able to copy and paste.

#8 genuine_jake

genuine_jake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks! I'll look into that! Tomorrow I'm travelling again but when I get back to home I'll look back into it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users