Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing a printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:33 PM

With the great prices available on new computers, I'm contemplating adding a new one but I'd have to share a printer. I understand that I would have to set up a network to share my printer. Is it very hard to do? Would I be risking security by doing this? I would be sharing the printer with Windows XP system and a Windows 98 system.
I also have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router.

I'm not very computer literate, so please keep it simple and step by step if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mary

Edited by gaelic123, 23 November 2004 - 11:47 PM.

Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:06 AM

No not 100% true. You can share a pc wirelessly by a new card thing. Not that you cant set up a network but try this. You can print wirelessly up to so many feet and share your printer on 2 computers. Its worht a try.
Details here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...83824&CatId=941
Hope this helps otherwise a home network will be needed.

#3 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:02 AM

Looks interesting, but do you think it's as easy as the ad says?

Thanks for the input.

Mary
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:31 AM

I would think so. I have never used it but since I have a laptop about 20 feet away from my printer I also thought of buying this kit. But if I need to print I just send it as a attachemnt via email.

Tell me how it goes or if you need help setting up a network.

#5 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:08 PM

I probably won't be doing anything about it until after Christmas, since I'm putting the computer on my wish list to Santa. (And the Santa at my house hasn't had a very good year, so it could all be just speculation)

Thanks again,

Mary

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

With the great prices available on new computers, I'm contemplating adding a new one but I'd have to share a printer. I understand that I would have to set up a network to share my printer. Is it very hard to do? Would I be risking security by doing this? I would be sharing the printer with Windows XP system and a Windows 98 system.

It is possible that your router also has print sharing on it. Check the documentation with it, or better yet, if you search your router's search file for printer sharing, it may show you the steps. If you have to set up the network, it will not be difficult at all, and you would not be at a security risk. Actually, if you can use the router to share printers, you would actually be better off. I would not want you to purchase a different router to make this happen though.

No not 100% true. You can share a pc wirelessly by a new card thing. Not that you cant set up a network but try this. You can print wirelessly up to so many feet and share your printer on 2 computers. Its worht a try.

Thanks for the link cowsgonemadd3

Looks interesting, but do you think it's as easy as the ad says?

It probably is just as easy as the picture looks, but for about the same price, you could get a new router that has print sharing enabled. IMHO, I would not use it, only because of the price.

I probably won't be doing anything about it until after Christmas, since I'm putting the computer on my wish list to Santa. (And the Santa at my house hasn't had a very good year, so it could all be just speculation)

I hope that he is wearing a back brace. The monitor is heavy enough, but to be lifting it by himself while going down a chimney without breaking the computer or himself, is very admirable. :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:11 AM

Maybe I should leave Santa a truss instead of the milk and cookies?

Thanks for the info. Hope you all have a Great Thanksgiving!!

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users