Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk does not boot (using two drives)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YayWindows8

YayWindows8

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hello everyone,

In my build, I have a SSD and a HDD. My SSD is first in boot order because I use it more often.

For the first week or so, I had the SSD as my first boot option, but kept booting manually to the HDD by pressing F12. When I eventually wanted to start using the SSD after a while, I switched back over and encountered problems. It would start "Preparing Automatic Repair," "Diagnosing PC," and say that "Your PC did not start correctly," pretty much stuck in a loop. All the steps for troubleshooting would fail (refresh, reboot, etc). Eventually, I had to reformat my SSD and it worked again. I was able to pull my files easily by booting into my HDD and just navigating to the SSD.

This past week, it's been the opposite. My SSD is still first in boot order, but now I primarily use the SSD. When I tried going back to the HDD, it has the same problem as before. It won't start/boot correctly. I'm pretty sure I will have to reinstall the OS on the HDD to get it to work again. However, this time I cannot pull my files easily as my HDD just shows up as NTFS (instead of the X out of X GB remaining) and says the drive is not accessible when I click it. The drive can't boot in safe mode, and when I try to use the repair option from the Windows installation USB, it just brings me to the "advanced boot options," which doesn't do anything useful.

Obviously, this will be a problem in the future. It seems that when I don't use a drive for a while, it will stop working. I don't want to have to reinstall the OS every time I switch between my SSD and HDD.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?

And am I using the two drives the wrong way? Should I be booting the SSD and downloading all the files the the HDD, and just treating the HDD as an external hard drive (by navigating to it through the SSD)? I like the option of having two separate operating systems to have different programs on each (and not just files like media).

*** I don't care about recovering the data and mainly just preventing this from happening again in the future, though of course, I wouldn't mind the added bonus of recovering some data ***

Quick run down of troubleshooting:

• Safe mode: when I try to boot into safe mode, it restarts and just boots up regularly, so the "preparing automatic repair" starts again.
  • Refreshing PC (Advanced Boot Options): says this PC cannot be refreshed.
  • System Restore: no previous restore points (turned off)
  • Repairing from USB installation disk: doesn't repair the files that are possibly corrupted, and just gives the same options that Advanced Boot Options normally gives.
  • CMD: tried the bootrec /FixMBR, /Fixboot, /rebuildBCD option
  • Chkdsk: forgot what I typed but I tried to do it on the D drive while booted in my SSD, and it said "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.." Definitely not a permissions error as I am running in administrator and the drive was accessible before it started having errors.

Edited by YayWindows8, 20 June 2014 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

You posted that you had to reformat the ssd, this would remove all of the data on the ssd.  Did you reinstall Windows 8?

Unless the hdd has Windows installed on it it should not be in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Sorry. Just to be clear, there were two incidents.

The first time the problem occurred with the SSD. I was able to boot into the HDD, navigate to the SSD drive, remove the data I needed, and then I completely formatted it with the Windows 8.1 install disk- removing all the data.

The second time the problem occurred with the HDD. I am able to boot into the SSD, but cannot navigate to the HDD. Presumably, I have lost all my data. I have not yet formatted this.

Both the SSD and HDD have Windows 8.1 Pro installed (separate licenses), so both of them are eligible to be included in the boot order.

---

My main question revolved around the correct way to use two hard drives.

1) Have one main boot drive, and use the other to hold media files (like an external hard drive)

2) Have each drive with it's own operating system (booting into whichever one is necessary).

I'm guessing both methods are acceptable? I'm currently using the second option, but I'm wondering if that is why my drives keep "failing."

Edited by YayWindows8, 21 June 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

You only need the operating system on one drive, I would suggest the ssd since is will facilitate a faster boot.

I would suggest disconnecting the ssd, then boot from the hdd and transfer all of your important data to a flash drive or other removable media.  

Disconnect the hdd, reconnect the ssd and boot from the ssd.  After you have booted into Windows reconnect the hdd.

Go to Computer and right click on the hdd, in the drop down menu click on format.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'd rather prefer two hard drives with standalone operating systems. The HDD can't be booted into anymore, so the only real step is to reformat it anyways. Is having the standalone operating systems the thing that is causing my problem? I feel like it shouldn't but that's what it looks like.

I'm am considering your option and just running a VM and using the HDD as a storage device. However, reinstalling the OS on the VM and installing the programs every time will be a lot more time consuming.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

I see no advantage in having the same operating system installed on two different drives.

Why are you referring to a virtual machine (vm)?

#7 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I like having separate programs on each operating system. What I'm trying to do now is have my SSD as the boot drive, and the HDD as the D drive with no OS. The HDD will hold my media files, as well as my VirtualBox OS.

#8 gettingthere

gettingthere

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

have you done this before?

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Hi

I am not sure whether it helps you but i would recommend trying the below steps.

- Boot from the SSD and open "Disk Management" . Now remove the drive letter of OS partition on the HDD.

- Reboot and boot from HDD. Repeat the same step - remove drive letter of  OS partition on the SSD.

Effectively this will prevent either OS from seeing other OS partition - Perhaps may also solve the weird file system corruption issue. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 23 June 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#10 YayWindows8

YayWindows8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

have you done this before?

I haven't, but I actually just finished it up. My VM is working perfectly. Hopefully there will not be a disk error this time around.

My original question still kind of remains unanswered, but it does seem moot now. If anyone doesk now the answer though, I would love to hear it.

Hi

I am not sure whether it helps you but i would recommend trying the below steps.

- Boot from the SSD and open "Disk Management" . Now remove the drive letter of OS partition on the HDD.

- Reboot and boot from HDD. Repeat the same step - remove drive letter of  OS partition on the SSD.

Effectively this will prevent either OS from seeing other OS partition - Perhaps may also solve the weird file system corruption issue. 

Thanks for the advice, but I unfortunately I already formatting the HDD. This just reminded me of another minor problem though. When I was trying to install the OS for the first time on my SSD, I hit the reset button. After it restarted, it started a new installation but left 300MB of the unfinished installation left. The 300MB partition appears when I use the Windows 8.1 installation disk and navigate to the part that has options to create new, format, delete, etc. The delete option is grayed out. This partition also appears in disk management. Do you know how would I add that 300MB back to the SSD, pretty much combining it back? 

Edited by YayWindows8, 23 June 2014 - 07:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users