Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death during login; tried basically everything

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisERAU

ChrisERAU

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I was customizing some windows login bmp's, and when I put the computer to sleep and woke it back up to test the login screen, I got the black screen of death. I'm not sure why this happened, because I've modified this and other bmp's without any problem. By the way, the bitmap in question is one of the user tile pictures. It seems like windows freaks out if just one bmp is "invalid". I've tried restarting and got the same black screen, even though the computer boots right to the desktop after restarting (automatic login, without showing the user tile).

I've read tons of posts regarding similar issues, but I haven't been able to resolve my issue. Here's what I've tried:

All configurations of safe mode (i.e., networking, command prompt, etc.)
System restore
Startup repair
Sfc \scannow

None of these worked. I've done successful system restores in the past, but those restore points are not available anymore, and the two that I have now didn't work.

Again, task manager is NOT available, and safe mode also goes to the black screen.

I don't have all my files backed up. Ironically, I was looking for external hard drives earlier, but I haven't bought one yet. The copy of windows that I have was a LEGAL downloaded copy, so no recovery discs or flash drives.

The worst part about this is that I know exactly what file is causing the issue, but I just can't access it. All I need is to be able to access my files in order to solve this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

You can download Mint or Ubuntu Linux and burn it to a DVD, then boot from it and access your files.  Both these versions of Linux have Windows like user interfaces so there's very little to learn in order to use them.  Mint is closer than Ubuntu, but either one would serve you well.  Just go to mintlinux.com or ubuntu.com and download an ISO image, burn it to a DVD, and boot from it.  You'll be up and running in 3 min.  You don't have to install anything, just click TRY when you boot from the disc.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hello, and :welcome:

If you know the file that is causing the problem, the easy way to access it without a Windows disk is using a small Linux Distro like Puppy (130MB vs 700MB or more on a normal linux distro). The advantage with Puppy is you are already logged in as root and can access Windows System Files. You can download version 5.2.8 here. Burn the iso file by double clicking it if you have Windows 7 or using software like Imgburn to write the iso to CD. Boot Puppy. You will see your drives in the lower left of the desktop. If you have one drive with one partition it will be labeled sda1. If the drive has mulitple partitions, they will be labeled sda1...sda2..etc. If there is another drive on the computer it will be labeled sdb1.

Click once on the drive and it will mount. A green dot will appear on the icon and the File Manager of Puppy will open. You can browse through the drive and access your files. If you had an external drive you could copy files from the hard drive to the external drive. Attaching a USB flash drive to Puppy will make a USB icon appear next to your CD/DVD rom drive if you have one. Clicking once on the USB icon will mount the drive and open the File Manager. Here is a good guide on transfering files using Puppy. Can also be used if you decide to use Ubuntu or Mint suggested by wpgwpg which requires double clicking the drive icons.No need to do the Disk Check as outlined in the link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#4 ChrisERAU

ChrisERAU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've read about Drivedroid, which can run Linux off android phones thru USB. I tried it, using a distro called slitaz 5.0. I couldn't manage to find the files or the drive that all the computer's files were on, however.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Puppy is easier to work with. Just click once on the sda1 drive icon and it will mount showing your Windows drive files.

#6 ChrisERAU

ChrisERAU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

Puppy is easier to work with. Just click once on the sda1 drive icon and it will mount showing your Windows drive files.

Thanks, I tried Puppy on Drivedroid, and I clicked on sda3 (sda1 was something else, for some reason) to get into the hard drive. The problem file was authui.dll, where the login bitmaps are stored. I just renamed the bad file and restored the backed-up file, then prayed that it would work.  I rebooted into windows.... and got the black screen again. But then about 20 seconds later, the login welcome screen showed up and I was in.  Problem solved!

Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users