Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with installing new HDD (Windows 7)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

My friend gave me his girlfriends computer because it wasn't opening windows. I was able to get windows (W7) open a few times yet kept getting an error message that "the hard disk drive is failing or had already failed". I ran various internal W7 diag tests and they all returned the same answer that the HDD was or had failed. Then started getting error messages that the motherboard couldn't communicate with the HDD. The CPU is a Dell Inspiron with 8 GIGs RAM.

He has told me to go ahead and buy a new HDD so tomorrow I will be buying a compatable SATA, 1TB HDD and installing W7 using the OEM W7 disc he gave me. So my question(s) to you are what steps should I take and what should I expect when I boot the CPU with the new HDD? What about the drivers for the CD/DVD drive, the network card, the video drivers etc?

Thanks for any advice and insight you can give. I do have some experience with replacing hardware but this is my first time installing a new HDD and OS  in a CPU.

Edited by Tim Of Florida, 20 June 2014 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Was that OEM W7 disc been used in another computer?  If so, it's not going to work in yours.  There're also concerns with drivers, helper apps, and application software.  Why not get the discs from Dell to restore that computer to factory settings?  Just get the service tag no. from the sticker, and contact Dell via their web site or phone.  They'll probably charge you a small fee ($25 to $35 maybe), but you'll be much much better off that way.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

I also doubt you would be able to use that W7 installer. But that doesn't mean you can't use that computer anymore. Buy a hard drive and discover Linux OSes... the two popular ones are Ubuntu (now on version 14.x) and Linux Mint (version 17). They're FREE! 

Ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkk1em4kWb0

Linux Mint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYF_R6Ulh8

Cheers!

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2014 - 12:17 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

FWIW:  Installing Win 7, IME, requires 3 things:  a system with no problems...a valid license...a legal install disk.  Failing either leads to unnecessary expectations/frustrations, IMO.

Quite honesly...if overcoming whatever is amiss with that system was so simple...I'd have to wonder at anyone giving the system away.

Louis

#5 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

FWIW:  Installing Win 7, IME, requires 3 things:  a system with no problems...a valid license...a legal install disk.  Failing either leads to unnecessary expectations/frustrations, IMO.

Quite honesly...if overcoming whatever is amiss with that system was so simple...I'd have to wonder at anyone giving the system away.

Louis

Sorry Louis, left something out in the original post, "He gave it to me to FIX"!! It's not a gift.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Aahhhhh, that's different :).

Then...it seems that you should have all the necessary ingredients for a successful install of Win 7.  The one suggestion that I make is...don't make the Windows partition too large...and don't create any other partitions from the Windows disk.  Create a small partition (50-100GB) for Windows and programs...the disk will format/create partition/install.

After Windows is installed and booted into...you can create any desired additional partitions, install motherboard/system drivers, activate, go to Windows Update, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users