Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe mode it freezes on windowssystem32driversclasspnp.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikeoliver1313

mikeoliver1313

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

I was wondering if anybody can help me my computer will not boot into safe mode it freezes on windowssystem32driversclasspnp.sys

and will not boot into safe mode.Dakeyras helped me clean of it of malware in this forum. http://forums.pcpits...s-will-not-run/ so any help to get me booting into safe mode will be great thanks alot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I have just been through your posts with Dakeyras and he seems quite happy that you are clear of malware, and I echo his sentiments about p2p software !

I believe you have tried using a Windows Repair disc to resolve this problem, without success, but am I right in thinking that your computer boots normally into Windows, it's just when you try booting in Safemode that it freezes ?

Before you go to the lengths of a complete re-install try running first the chkdsk command. Chkdsk will check for any failings in your hard drive.

To do  this, click 'Start' and type 'cmd' into the search box. At the top of the list shown you will see 'Cmd.exe'. Right click on this and the select 'Run as administrator'. Then at the command prompt type 'chkdsk /r' (All of these without the quotes and note the space between 'chkdsk' and '/r')

You will then get a message saying that it cannot do it, do you you want it to run at next boot? Select yes and re-boot the computer. As it starts, it will run chkdsk. As this can take anything up to 1 hour, don't do it when you need your computer in the next five minutes.

When it has finished it will show a report saying if it found any errors and what it did to fix them. Then try safe mode again.

If there is no improvement, run the SFC scannow process. This attempts to repair corrupted Windows files. Start the command prompt exactly as before, only this time type 'sfc /scannow', again noting there is a space between 'sfc' and the '/'. And again leave it to run untiil it is finished. Overnight might be best as it can take quite a while. It too will produce a report saying what it has found and done.

If after that, you still have the problem you are probably looking at a Windows re-install. If you don't have an install disc, or for some reason cannot use the built-in recovery partition, then so long as you have the original Windows install key you can use any appropriate Windows install disc to do the job. When asked for the key, put your own in. You may need to make a phonecall to MS to get the computer activated but you will not have any problem over a repair like this.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mikeoliver1313

mikeoliver1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the help but enough of thoses options did the trick.So i will do i will do a windows re-install when i was the install disc will have to then redownload all the service packs?

#4 mikeoliver1313

mikeoliver1313
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

one more question also will a windows reinstall delete all my files on my computer

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yes, a full re-install WILL delete all files and applications on your C:\ drive, so you will need to do a data backup before you start. It is also a good idea to back up some of the less obvious stuff like your browser bookmarks / favourites and your contact list if you use something like Outlook Express. If you don't have an install disc, take a look at dc3's instructions on the subject, here -

If you haven't got a Windows install disc, then go to Post #7 by dc3 in this topic and follow his instructions to create a legal install disc -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538151/windows-wont-boot-at-all/#entry3401527

You might as well follow his instructions all the way through as trying a repair from an install disc might do a full repair. If it doesn't, then you still have the option to do a full re-install, but try the repair first as this will save you having to find the drivers if it works.

You will also need to source all the mobo drivers, starting with the chip-set drivers and working up through - in any convenient order - video, audio, WLAN, LAN and anything else you may need.

If you source a disc following dc3's instruction you should be able to get one with SP1 but you will have all the subsequent updates to install. The two or three times I have had to do this as a repair on my own computer I reckon it is going to take me a full weekend to rebuild my software suite and get the options back to the way I like them !

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users