Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Certificate Suddenly a problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jushcomb68

jushcomb68

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Logging onto my computer from home today, I am suddenly having problems opening sites like Google, Yahoo.. my office 365.. everything.  Says sercurity certif/s not valid.. ?  Any help or ideas.  Running ASUS laptop with WIN 7 premium home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

First back up any data you don't want to lose while you can.  Then download & install Malwarebytes and get it up to date.  Then boot to Safe Mode and do a scan with Malwarebytes.  When it finishes, click the Quarantine all button.  After that run your antivirus program and do a full system scan.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Malwarebytes only showed P.U.P. Optional.Conduit.A  .. quarantined it, and so on.  Kasperskey full scan run, nothing showed up.  Restarted in regular mode, tried to go to google.com.. same issue.. security certificate warning, wants me to add an exception for it.  This is in Firefox, I.E. and Google Chrome.  Any more suggestions?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

This could also be due to a dead or dying CMOS battery. Among other things this does it keep the system time and date running when the computer is powered down.

Certificates have a limited time validity and if the system clock doesn't match you get these problems. Check the date and time on your computer and it it is well out this is likely to be your problem. The most common type is a 2032 lithium cell and they are usually fairly easy to replace, even on laptops. If this is the problem and you can't work out how to do it, look up Youtube for your computer  model and CMOS.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jushcomb68

jushcomb68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

That was the issue!  Just found it on another search for similar issues.  I was WAY out on date and time!  This is a work laptop, and I will let them know it is dying on me!  Thanks!!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Glad you have - if not fixed - at least identified the problem !

The one that had me really going a while back was a computer that at first glance was showing the correct date and time. It was only a close look that showed that while the the time, the day and the month were showing correctly the year was out by 10 years !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users