Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help request

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Much Perplexed

Much Perplexed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Some of the Icons in my Start Menu and on Desktop suddenly not working on my Windows 7 desktop computer.  On some newly downloaded programs - the new icons in Start and on Desktop don't work. I download other new programs and both the Start menu and desktop icons do work. A couple of older programs start menu icons don't work anymore either.

Also, If I try to go around this problem by going to the program file and clicking the program.exe - nothing happens. Simply can't access the program at all.The programs are there, I just can't access it.

For Example, my Filehippo.com update notifier program suddenly would'nt open anymore from icons or exe. file. So I uninstalled it and re-downloaded it three separate times and the icons and exe's wouldn't work any time. Then I downloaded a different update notifier program and all the icons work fine. Very weird.

Luckily the new HP printer I installed is accessible by going to the control panel - devices/printers and clicking the icon there. The printer actually prints from Word etc. I just cant get the actual program to open - even the exe. locations!

I have had some viruses lately on an awful cloud backup program. Also AVG found a "jdi backup limited" virus. I have run Malwarebytes, AVG, and Spyware Terminator and they are gone now but this might be from them.

I have been looking at Properties of the desktop icons, comparing icons that don't open to the icon of a program that does for any differences. Dont recognize any...

Edited by Much Perplexed, 20 June 2014 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

The first thing I'd would be to back up any data I didn't want to lose.  After a computer's had malware removed, and strange things continue to happen, I'd restore to factory settings, then reload my apps and data.  That's a PITA I know, but you could spend a lot more time trying to chase the problems down and recover.  If you do the factory restore, then you know you've got a dependable computer again.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Much Perplexed

Much Perplexed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thanks, I am currently uploading everything to a more dependable cloud - Carbonite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users