Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When choosing a program...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

I was talking to a friend earlier, about picking programs and what parameters he uses.  He is one of the people that I've cut off helping directly (meaning signing on to his computer, remotely, to help).  However he asked me what are the things I do to protect myself and my wife.  I explained one of the things I do.  In that light, I'll pose a question to the folks here...

Does the country of origin matter to you?  Why?

MY ANSWER:
------------
Yes it matters.

Some countries are well known for "harboring" malware/virus writers, and I refuse to take a chance.  Also, some of these site owners will intentionally have a site hosted in another country, to hide their real location.

Most people will only look at where the site is hosted, and immediately presume that the site is owned by a person from that country, when in fact it may be from someone on the other side of the globe, in a country known for having a large number of malware/virus writers.

By having their site in another country, the hosting country gets the blame, because the Internet user, and even researchers don't go past the country the site is hosted in.  The user and researchers just presume the owner is in the country the hosting company is.  This is unfair to the host country.

For me, I dig down to find who owns the domain, at least "on paper".  If the owner is from a list of countries I won't use software from, then I don't use it, no matter if it looks like the best thing since sliced bread.  If I can't determine the country of origin, which is common for sites registered through several registrars, then I presume they're on the list, and again won't use the program.

Remember, my system has been clean since 1995.
------------

Have a good day.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 20 June 2014 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Not to argue valid points made. But I can see where some exceptions should be taken into consideration.

One word: Kaspersky

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

To add with Animal - DrWeb CureIt

If you live there, you do need protection. But I draw the line at most Chinese branded Antivirus / Antimalware programs.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

Avira is headquartered in Tettnang, Germany.
Bitdefender is headquartered in Bucharest, Romania.
BullGuard is headquartered in London, United Kingdom.
ESET is headquartered in Bratislava, Slovakia, with regional distribution center in San Diego, California USA.
F-Secure is headquartered in Helsinki, Finland.
Frisk (F-PROT) is headquartered in Reykjavík, Iceland.
Kaspersky is headquartered in Moscow, Russia.
McAfee is headquartered in Santa Clara, California USA.
Panda is headquartered in Bilbao, Spain.
Trend Micro is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
Sophos is a British-American company co-headquartered in England, UK and Burlington, Massachusetts USA.
Symantec is headquartered in Mountain View, California USA.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users