Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SAS v MBAM

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 characterchange1

characterchange1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

I have the paid for versions of MBAM, Avast and SAS (which I use only as a stand alone scanner). Am having big troubles with MBAM, do not have the computer skills to sort out the problem with online help and am wondering if I can dump MBAM and replace it with SAS to work alongside Avast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

If you're having trouble with Malwarebytes, you could always uninstall and reinstall.  Since you have the paid version, I'd contact them at malwarebytes.org.  They have help forums there.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Actually...you have 3 different types of defense mechanisms (IMO), with neither having known issues with the others.

First...I'll say that I use the free versions of such programs...I see no point in paying for programs where the free versions do the job adequately by my standards.

Avast is an AV program....SAS is an antimalware program...and MBAM is an on-demand scanner used only when I suspect that I might have acquired something I don't want.  I rely on my AV and SAS to take care of the light work and be the second line defense, with critical updates/router/firewall being the first line.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#4 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

If you're having trouble with Malwarebytes, you could always uninstall and reinstall.  Since you have the paid version, I'd contact them at malwarebytes.org.  They have help forums there.

Good luck.

Reinstalled 3 times now but problem remains. Do not have the computer skills to sort out the problem with online help. And still don't know if running SAS and Avast together will protect my system.

#5 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Actually...you have 3 different types of defense mechanisms (IMO), with neither having known issues with the others.

First...I'll say that I use the free versions of such programs...I see no point in paying for programs where the free versions do the job adequately by my standards.

Avast is an AV program....SAS is an antimalware program...and MBAM is an on-demand scanner used only when I suspect that I might have acquired something I don't want.  I rely on my AV and SAS to take care of the light work and be the second line defense, with critical updates/router/firewall being the first line.

Louis

Louis, thank you so much for answering my question. :thumbup2:

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have the full version of MBAM and AVAST, both running real time protection, and I don't have any conflicts between the two.

Have a great day!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 20 June 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

When compared to other security tools the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits. The new scanning engine in version 2.0 has some enhancements to deal with current threats that the old version did not have. Malwarebytes's technology in the Premimum version runs in real-time at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer.

Malwarebytes is designed to remove malware effectively with a THREAT SCAN (QUICK SCAN) which checks memory, looks at the most prevalent places and known launch points for active malware infections. Areas and methods tested include: Memory Objects, Startup Objects, Registry Objects, and Filesystem Objects. The THREAT SCAN also detects any running malicious files regardless of its location so even if the malware is running from a location not checked by the file system portion of the scan, the THREAT SCAN would still detect it. This check includes not only running processes, but also loaded modules such as .DLLs injected into other processes. Malwarebytes uses heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

Enabling Advanced Heuristics Engine (Shuriken) under the 'Detection and Protection' Option section enables a second method of heuristic analysis to Malwarebytes detection techniques. Heuristic analysis is always employed, even when this option is not selected.

Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module in the Premium version and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. For information about Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection), please refer to:For any issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 the development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. Although it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections, the Pro version is no where near as effective as Malwarebytes Premium in providing maximum protection. As such I would not recommend spending money on the paid version just to use its real-time protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:13 PM

For specific Malwarebytes Anti-Malware problems please join their forum and Post Here

They can link you to their Help Desk for personal help with a paid version of the product, or even help you directly on the forum.

As per quietman7, the paid version will Prevent most malware from installing on your computer, while the Free version (as per hamluis) is only for hoping you can clean up After you have been infected.

The current run of CryptoLocker is a prime example of what Paid MBAM can prevent.

Personally, I think you need to learn how to add exclusions to your Antivirus so they will both be active at the same time. After all, this is what you paid for ........

I do know of a few people who did run paid MBAM and paid SAS together (Exile360 from MBAM forum did this for quite a while), but many dropped SAS and decided on just MBAM, with SAS as a scanner only.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

BTW characterchange1, you never stated what specific "big troubles" you are having with Malwarebytes.

#10 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

Hello characterchange1:

Please do consider the advice of quietman7, noknojon and wpgwpg in opening your own topic on the Malwarebytes forum.

That is your entitlement and just a small part of what you've already paid for.

We will look forward to your posting there and I promise that we will be most gentle and patient. :)

1PW
Malwarebytes Forum Volunteer Helper.

Edited by 1PW, 21 June 2014 - 02:07 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#11 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:37 AM

BTW characterchange1, you never stated what specific "big troubles" you are having with Malwarebytes.

Hi quietman and thank you for you continued input. I did try the mbam forum previously with other problems but finally gave up because I didn't have the competence or the confidence to carry out the suggested remedial action. That said, I did manage to get one problem sorted out because it involved a simple download of a beta mbam.

PS You will probably laugh when I tell you that my "big troubles" are:

1 That the mbam programme stops working, and;

2 that I have to keep updating it manually.

PPS Using Revo uninstaller, I have uninstalled my existing mbam and replaced it with the free version. Will see what happens after I fill in the ID and Key and if there are problems, I will, to quote 1PW, "consider the advice of quietman7, noknojon and wpgwpg" and open my own topic on the Malwarebytes forum. In the meantime, thanks once again to those who have contributed to the thread.

#12 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Personally, I think you need to learn how to add exclusions to your Antivirus so they will both be active at the same time.

Can you point me in the right direction to achieve this goal please?

Edit:  Sorry, will raise this on the mbam forum.

Edited by characterchange1, 21 June 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

No problem...I see that 1PW is already helping you in that topic (located here).

#14 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:11 AM

Although I could be wrong, it would appear that because of my lack of expertise and inability to do things right, help on the mbam forum is less than I thought it would be. I made a mistake but it wasn't until I asked if someone was checking the attachments I had included that it was pointed out that I had,: "doubled up on the attachments CheckResults.txt and Addition.txt and......did not upload the FRST.txt log file".  Of course it may be that the people who give help there are just snowed under with work helping others.

As a result I have decided, in the meantime, to go with Hamluis's solution in reply number 3 above and use mbam as a stand alone scanner with the paid for versions of sas and avast doing the daily protection job..

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Your last posting at MBAM forum was three days ago so it looks like the advisor who was assisting left you hanging.

Just be aware that SUPERAntiSypware released v6 in July and since then has released several updates almost on a weekly basis to address reported bugs and issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users