Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

May be infected not sure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drbobj

drbobj

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Everything was fine yesterday, today things are not right. I first noticed that basically my data, profiles, email are mostly gone. Things have gone back to a prior point in time. some files are there but most are not. Tried to run goback to restore to a prior point in time. Did not work, got some error message catastrophoc failure 0x8000FFF.

Ran a malware bytes scan, came back clean did not find anything, not that I think about it I may have only ran it on my boot disc I'll look into running it on my other hard drive.

Here is the basics of my system. Dual boot ubuntu 14 and windows 7. WHen in ubuntu yesterday firefox would not open, something about cannot load, missing or inaccessible or profile gone. That was the first indication of something gone bad.

The only other things I did today was to instal grub customizer to ubuntu to chage boot order to put windows first on the list instead of ubuntu, I mostly use windows at this point

It openes OK in windows. Yesterday I had scaned some pages of a book to PDF and ripped some music cds. WHen i continued to rip more cds I noticed the folder I had set up to rip them too is gone, there is a folder that I set up previously and there are a few things in it but a bunch of mp3s that I ripped are no longer there.

I have a 2TB storage hard drive where I have stored some shared files, drive images, backups etc. Have briefly looked over the drives and basically things that were there yesterday are not there. As far as I remember most of my files and email were on the boot drive, but I may have put some of them on the storage drive

Help what should I do next?

I have not used any of the tools scans or logs that I was asked to run in this forum when I had a problem on a different computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drbobj

drbobj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I just checked and I appears that I have a system image file created yesterday AM, on one of my secondary hard drives. I actually have three drives. a boot drive that has windows 7 and ubuntu 14 dual boot set up. A 5 GB files where my system image back up is scheduled to. and an additional 2TB drive.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hello...

We should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users