Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 8.1 needs proxy server to work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tictx

tictx

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Where and how do I do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

A little more information would be very helpful.  A proxy is normally used to connect to the Internet and the settings are either set in your browser or Internet Options in the control panel.

#3 tictx

tictx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I connect to the internet via Firefox and the  msgs were that Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

Check the proxy settings to mmake sure they are correct.

Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.

#4 tictx

tictx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

I also contacted my internet provider and they said everything was working on their end.

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Presuming that this is only a problem in Firefox

Click 'Open Menu' (right side three stripes icon)

Choose Options > Advanced > Network > Settings

Choose System proxy settings or no proxy.

Note: something or someone changed your proxy settings.

Suspect add-on or some dodgy program.

#6 MilfordMile

MilfordMile

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Wow - I had the same problem - the fix worked. Thanks!

#7 BiaxialLegit34

BiaxialLegit34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

Ok so I have a proxy problem also. My proxy is not working at all...! I go to my internet, then I go to my connections, and after that I go to my LAN settings to turn off use a proxy server for my LAN... I am doing as all the tutorials say do.. But my problems are when I try to turn it off it glitches or somthing and turns itself back on.!?! Is it a virus of some sort?!?!

#8 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

Quite likely to be spyware/adware.

If it is recent problem the first thing to try is a system restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/system-restore

#9 MilfordMile

MilfordMile

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Okay someone will have to check me here because I am more familiar with telephones with cords than I am with computers (that's why I'm here). But I can say that Haircut's fix above solved my inability to access the internet after a virus infection - someone or something changed my proxy settings. I experienced the same annoying problem as BiaxialLegit34  - trouble is, I'm not sure what apect of the control panel I accessed in order to try to change my LAN settings. But every time I attempted a change, the LAN settings would turn itself back on. It was only when I went into the LAN settings via Firefox that I was able to get back on to the internet. I have no idea what the distinction might be, if any.

#10 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

You can set a System wide proxy for your computer (In the search gem type: proxy) but you can also set a proxy per application for example in Firefox. If you can solve your connection problem by changing the proxy settings in Firefox then the System proxy settings are not preventing your connection. However if the proxy settings later block your connection again, then there is likely a dodgy program changing the proxy settings without your intervention.

Such a program may not be identified as malware by your anti virus program.

For example I recently came across an example which was listed in Programs and features as: 'Find and Remind' published by easyfundraiser.org.uk

The full story is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537016/lan-settings-proxy-server-being-set-to-127001/

This program did not start out as malware but at some point on that particular computer it had become malware and still remained unidentified by the anti virus programs.

If your proxy settings are being repeatedly changed, my advice to you is to look closely at your installed programs in Programs and Features

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users