Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Case

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi.

I recently bought this computer:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883280357

I wanted to upgrade the video card and PSU so I can run the games I want. My plan is to switch out the minitower case for a standard tower case.

The motherboard is a HP 3047h. Does anyone know where/how I can find a PC case that will fit the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

I don't see this going well.  That machine is designed for a business with not much upgrading being done.  Turning it into a gaming machine may end up costing close to what the machine cost you.

Looking at the pictures it looks like the CPU cooling is via a fan in the case and a "wind tunnel".  It doesn't look like there is a real CPU cooler.

The board should fit in almost any mid tower case, but you're probably not going to have the metal plate for the mother board connections that go out the back, that normally comes with the mother board, and looking at the picture of the back you may need a Dremel or similar tool to cut holes in the back.

I don't know what your budget for this is, but you're almost looking at a new machine for the parts you'll need.

#3 Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hm, the new case sounds like it's out of my budget range. What about getting a low-profile PSU and GPU and installing those in the original case?  I'm not looking for a hard-core gaming computer - just something that will run Assassin's Creed 2, Minecraft, WoW, and Vindictus without lag.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

That's a fairly weak PC you got there, you may not be able to do much given the limitations of the case.  What is your budget for this?

Edited by DJBPace07, 24 June 2014 - 08:43 AM.

3939.png

#5 Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

I've got $250 to spend on upgrades for it.

#6 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Check out http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri if you have not already. That will tell you if you can run the games you want to run, and if you cannot, what you need to upgrade. I have a feeling the dedicated graphics and that processor are going to be your two biggest issues.

#7 Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

Check out http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri if you have not already. That will tell you if you can run the games you want to run, and if you cannot, what you need to upgrade. I have a feeling the dedicated graphics and that processor are going to be your two biggest issues.

My GPU is the problem for each of the games I tested.

#8 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

That's what I figured, the dedicated video won't be able to handle many games on that machine. You may want to look into http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121710 should be a significant upgrade

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Be careful with recommended and minimum requirements developers put out.  Minimum requirements are the absolute bare minimum needed to get the game to load and run on low settings.  Recommended settings are what it takes to get the program to run decently.  Personally, as a general rule, I aim to have most of my hardware exceed the recommended levels and none of it being minimum.

You can certainly go to Newegg and find low-profile cards like the XFX R7-250A-ZLF4 Radeon R7 250 1GB but the cards that will do you the most good in gaming will be more powerful, more expensive, and full sized.  For gaming, I would go for the Radeon R9 270 or better, but those are not low profile.

3939.png

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Here is a selection of half height video cards from New Egg that should work on your machine.  The PSU in that machine is 95w, so you need a card that will receive all of its power from the PCIe slot.

#11 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

I looked at that card as well, unfortunately its recommended power supply is 400W, and I believe the machine he has only has at best a 95W PSU.

However, DJB is right, the minimum settings is what will get the computer to run the game, but it may not run well. 

The cards listed by Kilroy should run a few games decently, I have had a laptop with a 5000 series AMD card which ran WoW fine, but you may see the Core 2 Duo cause issues as well.

#12 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

$250 will buy you a refurb/pre-owned PS3 or an Xbox. That's 10x more powerful for gaming than the PC you have right now.

Edited by badr0b0t, 24 June 2014 - 08:56 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#13 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

My suggestion would be to save up more and just do a complete "new build" ....you will be a whole lot happier in the long run with a much better end product.

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

If you added that $250 to your PC purchase from the very start, you may have gotten a better machine for gaming purposes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229497

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258086

Edited by badr0b0t, 24 June 2014 - 09:09 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#15 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

$250 will buy you a refurb/pre-owned PS3 or an Xbox. That's 10x more powerful for gaming than the PC you have right now.

My suggestion would be to save up more and just do a complete "new build" ....you will be a whole lot happier in the long run with a much better end product.

If you added that $250 to your PC purchase from the very start, you may have gotten a better machine for gaming purposes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229497

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258086

While all of these are valid options, they are not really relevant to his original topic. He asked for help for what machine he has now, not things he could do or could have done instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users