Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade with issues

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 WaltC

WaltC

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hello!

First time posting here but I've been using this site for malware detection and removal for quite a while. I have an Acer Aspire 3050 that I'm upgrading for my wife. I've installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and upgraded to 3GB of RAM.  It had the Mobile Sempron 3500+ which I upgraded to a dual core Turion 64 x2 tL-58 yesterday. No problems installing it and it booted right up. I used it on and off for the rest of the afternoon. Then late last night I was moving some files from her old computer when it suddenly shut off. I thought at first the battery had run down but I didn't get an alert so I plugged in the power cord and restarted. As it was starting Windows there is a point where the CPU fan spins up and that seems to be when the power cuts out. So I was thinking that maybe it was over heating so I let it sit for about an hour until it was completely cool and tried again and it shut off at the same place again. I tried with battery only, power cord only, and power cord and battery, same problem. I did get it to boot once and was able to launch HWMonitor to look at the temps and everything was in the 50-60C range (except the HD). While it was running I streamed something from NetFlix and the temps did go up but leveled off at about 75C and ran that way for quite a while and didn't shut off. I shut it down but when I went back a little later and started it up it powered down at the same point as Window is starting the the fan spins up. So I took it apart again to make sure I didn't do something obvious like drop a screw in it or something and didn't find anything. I did pull the heat sink back off to check the thermal paste to make sure that was OK which it was. So I cleaned it up and reapplied thermal paste and put it back together. Same issue. I'm considering putting the old processor back in to see what happens. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Welcome Don,

Your new CPU may be more than the current cooling system is designed to handle. Swapping the CPUs should confirm this. If so then a bigger, badder CPU cooler might be in order.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

dicke,

Thanks for the welcome and reply. May be the case. I did research before doing this upgrade and found people had done it successfully, some even saying it ran cooler than with the single core. This does seem to be the case because where the fan exhaust is located on the left side used to get extremely hot and now it's noticeably cooler to the touch but I never did any actual temp measurements on it before, my daughter confirmed this too since she is the one that has been using it.This morning I started it up after sitting all night and the power came on for about 3 seconds and then it turned off. I immediately hit the power button again and it booted and where the fan usually spins up really high it didn't and it booted into Windows fine. The fan is running at normal speed.  I checked the temps and everything looks good. Both processor cores are in the 40's. It seems like there may be some kind of power surge when it first start up sometimes. I don't know. 

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Don,

The more you report the more I'm beginning to suspect the power supply. If you have another one that you can test with I'd do it soon as the bad one could damage more components on its way to the landfill

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

It does the same thing whether it's on battery or plugged in. I left it running after it successfully started this morning and it's still running. Wakes up with no problems. Steady temperatures. 

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Don,

My vote is still with the power supply

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Even though the same thing happens when the power supply isn't plugged in? 

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

There is a power supply /voltage converter within the motherboard that provides the various volts and amps to the components so that they run right. That's the one I'm pointing to. The transformer that's inline on the AC power cord doesn't do it all.

Dick E

#9 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Ah gotcha. I'm going to look into that now. I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks!

#10 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Ok, I'm not calling this solved yet but I think it is. I dug around on the internet and found a pdf of a service manual for the laptop. In the specs section it mentions some Turion TL series processors were supported but it didn't mention the TL-58, just the TL-52 TL-56 and TL-60. So I put the old processor back in and so far I've shut down and restarted about 6 times and had no issues. So even though I read that the TL-58 had worked for some people maybe there are different versions of the Aspire 3050. The manual mentions the exact model of my laptop. This is good news. I only paid $4 for the processor and a TL-60 will cost about the same. So I will give it a couple of days to see if it's stable and then order the TL-60. Thanks for all the help!

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Glad to hear that you have a possible solution. Even happier that you have a copy of the manual you can use in the future.

Stay well and surf safe. We'll be here when you need us

Dick E

#12 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thanks!

#13 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

UPDATE: When I did the research before upgrading the CPU I read that a BIOS update was not necessary. I did find a newer one (3315) but couldn't get it to flash but since I read it wasn't necessary I didn't worry about it. After having the problem I started comparing the TL series CPU's and it seemed like the TL-58 should work. So I tried the BIOS update again but couldn't get it to work under Windows 7 so I booted with an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows with Windows XP 32 bit and ran WinPhlash from there and it worked. I re-installed the TL-58 and it seems to be working fine now. After multiple restarts the power hasn't cut out once. Most of the info about these kinds of upgrades on the internet isn't official so you never know for sure. 

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

More good news   :cool:

Dick E

#15 WaltC

WaltC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

I spoke too soon :( but I have a CPU on the way the Acer's documentation claims with work so we'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users