Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would not boot up not even into recovery disc!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 zeron824

zeron824

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

So I have an ASUS Windows 8 laptop that my friend lend to me to repair. He said it just started to slow down, so I booted to the Recovery Options and chose Refresh PC. It then says that it fails. So we decided to restart the laptop. The laptop then started automatic repair, but it failed also. Now each time I try to boot, it says "Recovery. Your PC needs to be repaired." Error 0x000135f or 185 I think that's the error code. So then I started to try to rebuild the bcd using the Recovery disc. I thought it had worked, but now it can't boot into the Recovery disc. It can go into the bios and see the "Your PC needs to be repaired," but not into the Recovery disc. It shows the Win8 logo and the circle loading thing on the bottom but then it goes to a black screen for forever. I tried to use the disc on my Win7 and it boots to it just fine. Please help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Just a guess:

But, if the system reads the CD drive and boots to your W7 installation disk but has all sorts of problems with W8 I'd be thinking about formating and reinstalling everything from the start.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

That's what is I'm attempting, but it won't even boot into the recovery menu of the recovery disc. I will try to create another recovery disc but this time, it will be a USB Flash Drive.

EDIT: It still won't boot into the recovery options from the recovery USB. It would show the Win8 logo with the spinning thing then it will go to a black screen for forever. Please help. Thanks!

Edited by zeron824, 20 June 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

If you can remove the battery, the AC powr cable and the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes, please do so and then plug everything back in and report on the results.

Thanks

Dick E

#5 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you can remove the battery, the AC powr cable and the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes, please do so and then plug everything back in and report on the results.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I do not think that is possible. There are no visible battery packs from just looking at the bottom of the laptop. Do you recommend that I open up the laptop?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

If you can access the BIOS make sure Secure Boot is disabled and FastBoot also if there is an option for it.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks

Unfortunately, I do not think that is possible. There are no visible battery packs from just looking at the bottom of the laptop. Do you recommend that I open up the laptop?

I do not recommend that you open the case unless you know what you're doing. Things in there are small, close together and very easy to break. [I used to repair laptops]

With the CMOS battery still in the circuit the only way to get to a power void situation is to leave the computer in a corner for a week or more with no battery and no AC applied.

You might get some help from the manufacturer's site searching for ways to flush the BIOS. I'm getting very low on ideas. Hope others will join in and freshen up the discussion.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#8 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Thanks you guys. Secure Boot and Fast Boot are both off.

I won't open it up. I'm more of a software guy anyway. I'll try what you suggested, dicke.

I'll keep you guys updated as to what happened.

#9 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

Still nothing! It still won't let me boot into the recovery USB menu.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

Can you post the exact model you have?

If you access the UEFI BIOS can you now change the boot order to boot from the USB flash drive or from the DVD?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

ASUS X551CA-HCL1201L

I am able to change the boot order, but it just shows the Win8 logo then the loading circle on the bottom of it before proceeding to a black screen.

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

If you don't have data on the machine that need to be saved try to restore the machine to Factory Defaults following the instructions here.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#13 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi,

If you don't have data on the machine that need to be saved try to restore the machine to Factory Defaults following the instructions here.

Hey, whenever I press F9, I get to a page saying Recovery, Your PC needs to be repaired, then it says "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error Code: 0xc0000185"

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hey, whenever I press F9, I get to a page saying Recovery, Your PC needs to be repaired, then it says "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error Code: 0xc0000185"

The Windows 8 was preinstalled on the machine or an upgrade?

___
Rui

#15 zeron824

zeron824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Preinstalled.