Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this micro atx configuration work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 REM1

REM1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

I have never built a computer before so I just learned about all of the different parts I need to build a micro atx. Here are the parts I have chosen:

Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S0

Hard drive: Seagate Desktop 1 TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6 GB with NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5 Inch

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3

Graphics card: ASUS GT640 2GB DDR3 Memory Graphics Cards

Processor: AMD Athlon X4 AD750KWOHJBOX 100W 3.4Ghz Processor

Case: APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case USB/Audio/Fan

I am most concerned about the graphics card not fitting, and I will need to find a power source too. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Unfortunately a major problem with this selection is that the CPU will not fit in the motherboard!  The CPU uses an FM2 socket, but the mobo has a AM3+ socket.  Perhaps this might be a suitable alternative? - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a78md3h

I don't think the graphics card is likely to be a problem.  It's not especially long, which is the main problem you run into with MicroATX size cases.  I think you could probably get a better performing card for the money though.  The GT 740 for example looks to have a useful performance boost over the previous generation for similar money.  The example linked to is a version with 1Gb GDDR5 memory. I would have this over a 2Gb DDR3 version.  Alternatively this R7-260X is a fair bit quicker than either, but part of the price is made up of a rebate - http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr7260x1gbd5dhoc

For a power source this or this would do nicely.

Edited by jonuk76, 19 June 2014 - 08:39 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 REM1

REM1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Thank you, I wouldn't have noticed that.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

What exactly are you using this computer for?  If you aren't gaming, one of AMD's APU processors would work nicely.  According to reviewers at Newegg, that case can hold a normal ATX power supply, but the screw holes don't line up and a modular PSU is suggested.  I have only built one micro-ATX PC using the SilverStone Sugo Series SG02B-F-USB3.0 case, which I know supports a standard PSU.

You will also need a copy of Windows and an optical disc drive, if you plan on using disc-based media.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users