Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

checking functionality of MBAM

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

earlier i decided to uninstall then reinstall the malwarebytes antimalware second opinion scanner i have on my system. this is the free version so offers no real time stuff only the ability to scan individual files or the whole computer. the uninstall-reinstall process went a bit badly, i tried the latest version of MBAM(2.0.something) but it didn't work well and seemed to have lost some of the features i use, the scan outputs were more confusing, the interface worse (in my opinion). i then, as i had the old installer exe file for the previous mbam version, uninstalled this new mbam and reinstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 (Version: 1.75.0.1300). i ran into some weird trouble there but after clearing temp files and a restart i was able to reinstall the old mbam version then update it's definitions under the "update" tab-->"check for updates". it seems to be working but i wanted to know if there was a way top verify it is scanning properly because after the bother involved in the reinstall process it's easy to imagine something going wrong. is there anything i can do just to check it is functioning correctly?

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

Only follow the directions on This page to remove and reinstall your version. (Link is to MBAM site)

Many people will "over-install" the program, but I prefer a Full Clean / Reinstall with each new version.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

How can I verify that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is working?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (v2.0) replace Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (v1.75)?
What's new with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0?
Will you continue supporting my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75?
Why is Malwarebytes now charging an annual license fee for its products?
I have a lifetime license, am I still covered?
Can I buy a lifetime license of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium?
How many computers will one license of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium cover?
Is there a free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0?
Can I update my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to 2.0 now?
I've lost my key/ID, how can I get it again?
How do I report a bug?
How does 2.0 affect business customers (MEE and MSB)?

For any issues with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 the development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report them there.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

thanks i never realised there was a proper uninstaller, when i installed 2.0 over the original 1.75 i just downloaded and ran the setup exe file for 2.0, when i put 1.75 back in place i uninstalled through control panel(i could see no uninstall options within the program).

i will try downloading that "http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/securitytests/spycar_suite.html" spycar zip file then scan it to see if MBAM picks it up.

mbam detected it as a "simulation.spycar" and removed it when i scanned the zip file, and also when i tucked that zip file inot a 7z archive and scanned that. avg also detected the stuff inside that zip (it called it  "Trojan horse Generic30.AMXW" but i assume this wasn't a real virus at all?) when i scanned it, not at the moment of download. does thta all sound about right?

Edited by rp88, 19 June 2014 - 10:16 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

Spycar simulates the behavior of malware to see if your security software detects and blocks it. If AVG detected anything....then it is a false positive.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

given MBAM detected it as well i'm guessing there is no need for https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/122284-mbam-clean-removal-process/#entry644441    this time. thanks

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

The developers of Malwarebytes specifically created mbam-clean.exe for removing all traces when an uninstall of MBAM results in errors or when you need to do a clean install.

In the future I recommend you use MBAB's uninstall utility if you encounter problems with MBAM. If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email so make sure you save that information and have it is readily available when reinstalling.

#9 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

regarding this

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/122284-mbam-clean-removal-process/#entry644441

i ran it 10 minutes ago because malwarebytes had started playing up somewhat. is it correct that the file has no digital signature, does not give it's publisher when flashing up in user account control before running  is 308 kb large and has only two small pop up "yes/no" boxes that appear before it declares itself to have finished. it seemed weird that something from malwarebytes wouldn't be signed by them.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

mbam-clean.exe's current version is 2.0.2.0 with a size of 308 KB. The tool sometimes changes in size due to needed updates and that explains why you may note a different size than previous downloads.

There is no Digital Signature tab in this version. As to why it is not digitally signed, that's a question you would need to ask Malwarebytes. However, according to Microsoft, software can be unsigned, signed using valid certificates, or signed using invalid certificates.

When using mbam-clean.exe on Windows 7/Vista you may be prompted by UAC to allow it to run. The Publisher description may say unknown. According to Malwarebytes's staff, this can occur if your root certificates require an update.

When running the cleanup tool...it will display a message "This utility will remove all components of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from your system. Are you sure you want to continue?" There are two options: Yes or No.

#11 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

that's pretty much what happened. i downloaded it, unlike some exe files(notably rkill) it doesn't have a picture icon but just uses the standard one for an exe file, and agreed to the uac prompts. it just seemed weird that it was not signed and that it, to the casual viewer atleast, did so little (pop up, "do you want to remove...?" then pop up "please restart..."). as far as uac went it just called it "unknown publisher", as if there were no certificate at all. i reinstallled the latest mbam version afterwards, earlier today the old one became very persistent in insisting it update to the latest version.

Edited by rp88, 26 June 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Then it sounds like you're good to go.

#13 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hello All:

Frequently, one of us volunteer forum helpers will upload any Malwarebytes' releases to VirusTotal.com to establish their file size, hashes and reputation/integrity.

This is especially true with the official mbam-setup-2.0.2.1012.exe files, as you can imagine, and it's also true for mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe.

For your own enlightenment, you might like to test this for yourself.

Please download only from the official websites of the authors, developers and manufacturers when & wherever possible.

Доверяй, но проверяй  -Old Russian proverb

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW, 27 June 2014 - 01:08 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Frequently, one of us volunteer forum helpers will upload any Malwarebytes release to VirusTotal.com to establish its file size, hashes and reputation/integrity.

I figured that was the case but could not find anything official in the forum or Knowledge Base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users