Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

When I turned on my computer, everything seemed fine, but after I went on the internet I found out something was wrong. I checked the bandwidth and got 300 KB/s. My usual speed is about 1-2 MB/s. I have dsl. Everything else is running fine, I have no viruses or spyware, 0% pc usage, no problems at all. There is only something wrong with my internet. Can any one give me suggestions on why it is going so slow. This was going on since last week.

(Moderator edit: added description of problem to Topic description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 28 May 2006 - 08:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

How close are you to the main phone office? Assuming you actually got 2mbs you would have to be pretty close. The only thing that comes to mind if all your hardware is working properly is line noise. I know that has a tremendous effect on dialup. If you haven't asked the phone co. to check that is one place to start. Look for loose connections or listen for noise on your phones. Try disconnecting all the phones and then check your speed. And last, drive down to the office and see if they moved it!!!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for your advice. I called the phone company to check out my problem. They called me back after they ran some tests and said something is blocking the signal. What could be blocking the signal?

#4 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:05 AM

DAMN IT! I found out why my internet was going slow. My stupid dad installed a new phone in his room without plugging it through a dsl filter. Now that I fixed that, the internet is getting better speeds, but still not the same. It is only going at half the speed now for some reason. Usually it's around 1.5 MB/s but now its going at 750 KB/s. Why is this happening? Can anyone help me please?

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

Did you unplug ALL phone equipment from every room in the house? This is the first place to check for problems and the easiest to do. You may have a " test phone jack" on the outside of your house where the phone lines enter your house. If you do, and you have a long enough phone cord, run it directly to your computer. If the speed picks up then you know the problem is in the house. If it doesn't then the problem is between your house and the phone company which will make it their problem to solve. Aloha
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

Actually, my friend told me after he came to my house that the dsl is running at its normal speed. He told me to type dslrouter into the address bar and it told me my connection was 1792 Kbits/sec by 448 Kbits/sec. He has dsl too and said it was that speed. But I remember when I looked at this site when I first got dsl because the instructions told me to, it was 3360 Kbits/sec by 872 Kbits/sec. If anyone has dsl, can they check what their connection rate is? Thanks!

Edited by tl2e3le4f, 29 May 2006 - 03:06 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,507 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

Read all about DSL here---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dsl Now, aren't you sorry you called your dad stupid?

#8 tl2e3le4f

tl2e3le4f
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

What was the point of that article?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

How long ago did you signup for your service. With the expanding use of DSL and CABLE the bandwidth in your area may be shrinking do to the volume of users.
You could also have damaged inside (from service box to modem) or outside (From the service box to the street) wiring. Your DSL provider can run a test from their call center to let you know if you have sub-standard wiring, or a problem with the line.

Edited by acklan, 29 May 2006 - 08:26 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users