Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD power connector slightly melted, is it still safe to use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hoosieralg

Hoosieralg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

I have a Samsung 830 Series SSD that had a molex-to-SATA adapter plugged into it which caught on fire at the SATA end of the cable. I've replaced the adapter and the SSD still runs fine and I can access all the files on it but the power connector on the drive is slightly melted. I was hoping someone could tell me if it's still safe to use in my computer. I'm leaning towards replacing just as a precaution. Since its a fairly expensive drive, I'd like to keep using it but not if it's going to catch fire due to the melted power connector.

Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

By the look of your photos 2 and 4, there is some damage to the pins on your SSD, but this may be superficial even though #2 shows a fair amount of 'stuff' around the pins.

It is a moderately expensive piece of equipment. I suggest trying to clean up around the pins. perhaps with a fine screwdriver, and then checking for short circuits using a multi-meter.

It looks as though the original failure occurred inside the power lead head rather than in the drive, but if you have any doubts after checking as above, on grounds of safety alone you are probably better replacing the drive.

Good photos though !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

If it were me and it was a larger ssd 512GB or bigger, I would attach the drive to the computer from outside of the computer. I'd set the ssd on a surface that will not catch fire for example on a concrete type tile, then use the drive for a few weeks and see what happens. If the drive never gets hot or doesn't have any other problems, I might continue to use it.

If it was one of the smaller drives 120gb or 256gb I may do the same test above depending on my budget at the time, but would be far more likely to just replace it. The 840 evo's and evo pro's have come down in price quite a bit. A 256GB drive goes for around $134 on newegg. Sometimes cheaper, shop around, newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, microcenter, etc.

Now the more important question here is what caused the sata plug to melt in the first place. Is the connecter an adapter of some sort? Or was it a direct plug from the power supply? I would probably cut that end off and put electrical tape over the wires if it was a direct connection to the power supply. If it is an adapter, don't use it again. Ironically I have seen other sata power plugs melt but in all cases the hard drive that was connected is what caused the failure. I have seen a few molex plugs melt but those could be plugged in incorrectly if you really forced it, also this nearlly always burned out the drive plugged into the molex.

Edited by zingo156, 20 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users