Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs and applications become 99% unresponsive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheDukeDude

TheDukeDude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm running Windows 8.1 with an i5-2500K running stock, an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard, 8 gb Corsair RAM (which I just ran through a memtest last night,) and an EVGA GTX 670.  My power supply voltages are all right around where they should be and my temps are all very low (with no spikes when computer freezes.)  

When using the PC the application will freeze (as will any audio) and I'm sort of able to alt+tab out and make it to the desktop but then most everything will be unresponsive.  It has crashed using Chrome, video games, and once with Word.  I say most everything because using control+alt+delete works and allows me to bring up a task manager.  The task manager will allow me to highlight an application when I hover my mouse over something but then will be unresponsive too.  I'm forced to manually power cycle the machine.  

The occurrences seem very random.  It happens occasionally when I'm just browsing the web (with or without playing videos) but it consistently happens when playing games after just a few minutes.  

So far I have ran MemTest86 and downgraded graphics drivers.  Nothing from those two checks.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.  If any logs would be helpful please let me know and I will go about posting them.  Just tell me specifically what you want and I'll figure out how to get you the information.

Thank you so much.

Edited by TheDukeDude, 19 June 2014 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

I'd run SFC.  From the Start charm search box, type CMD, then right-click CMD.EXE.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.  This will scan for corrupt system files and attempt to repair any it finds.

After that I'd download Malwarebytes & install it, get it up to date, and do a scan.  After it finishes, click the Quarantine all button.

Finally do a full system scan with Defender.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 TheDukeDude

TheDukeDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'd run SFC.  From the Start charm search box, type CMD, then right-click CMD.EXE.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.  This will scan for corrupt system files and attempt to repair any it finds.

After that I'd download Malwarebytes & install it, get it up to date, and do a scan.  After it finishes, click the Quarantine all button.

Finally do a full system scan with Defender.

Good luck.

Hey wpgwpg,

I totally forgot to add I had run Malwarebytes and it did not find anything to quarantine.  I ran SFC and it only found one file which was corrupted but it was unable to repair it.  I added the last few lines of the log to my reply.  Do you have any idea if this is what could causing my problem?

Thanks a ton for your help. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   4.44KB   1 downloads

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I've learned to scan for the word "cannot" with these logs.  In doing so I found two entries like this:

2014-06-19 15:50:19, Info                  CSI    00000856 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64

This is a file that's new in Windows 8.

So I went to the MS web site and did a search to get here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/answers?tId=490c9e04-bb12-45a0-b153-5b4b77414813

Where MS MVP Spiritx comments:

"All the errors are about prncacla.inf which is not important in this case.

Note the last entry :

2013-03-09 21:15:47, Info                  CSI    000006dd [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired"

So that leads me back to the CBS.LOG's last line which says

"2014-06-19 15:50:19, Info                  CSI    00000860 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired"

So I conclude that you don't have to worry.   :)

I wish I had better information about what this file is and what it does.  Some of the searches I did suggested it's part of the list of possible printer drivers that Windows puts on your system when installing Windows 8 in case you might install a Canon Pixima IP90 printer.  If we can believe that we don't ever have to worry about it if we don't have that printer attached.  I'd venture to speculate that the vast majority of us don't.  I sure don't.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users