Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

it's safe clean the memory ram pins with an eraser?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharly55

sharly55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

I has seen a video and some webs where some users says that the memory ram should be cleaned with an eraser, but I ask myself if this don't provoke damages in the pins of memory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

r u trying to clean it? i only ask is why clean it if no issues?

#3 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Maybe as a last resort.

Why not just reseat the chip a few times that would be better.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

me personally i just use compressed air.  but ya reseating it wont hurt

#5 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

er no, it's just curiosity but sooner or later I will have to clean it... I suppose... so I don't want to destroy my pc in the attempt

Maybe as a last resort.

reseat? How I can do this?

#6 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

me personally i just use compressed air.  but ya reseating it wont hurt

well I for save some money I use a paintbrush and my mom's hair dryer haha that also expel cool air

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

er no, it's just curiosity but sooner or later I will have to clean it... I suppose... so I don't want to destroy my pc in the attempt

Maybe as a last resort.

Just press the keeper clips so the ram chip pops out, then push it right back in and repeat once or twice. This actually cleans the contacts a bit, it is a well known easy to do method that is safe and doesn't cost anything other than a few minutes of your time. I do this anytime I suspect a component is bad, if it doesn't fix it then try a new component. 

Is your ram giving you trouble, if not then leave it alone.

You know the old saying, if it ain't broke, then keep on fixing it till it is!!! LOL

#8 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Maybe as a last resort.

Just press the keeper clips so the ram chip pops out, then push it right back in and repeat once or twice. This actually cleans the contacts a bit, it is a well known easy to do method that is safe and doesn't cost anything other than a few minutes of your time. I do this anytime I suspect a component is bad, if it doesn't fix it then try a new component. 

Is your ram giving you trouble, if not then leave it alone.

You know the old saying, if it ain't broke, then keep on fixing it till it is!!! LOL

hey thanks for say me, and I think that is a good saying although is the first time that I heard haha because in my country people just speaks Spanish lol

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Cleaning is the extreme end of the solution.  Reseating will do the trick in most cases  but usually needs to be repeated a couple times before cleaning is called for.  A pencil eraser is fine but only half the full cure.  I use a piece of poster board and a strip of printer paper on the edge to clean the slot for the mating connector.  So much heating and cooling happens during normal operation that the boards and components will grow and shrink, causing things to work loose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users