Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open anything......infected ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 farouga

farouga

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hi guyz.

I just found this place via GG. Looks good ! :)

I'm running win XP Professional on my old pc (Acer ASPIRE 600), and when i start it, window opens, it reaches the desktop, but I can't open any programs. When I double clink on an icon, the hourglass shows up, and just disapears.. I can use the explorer and browse my folders and files,  but that's all I can do. Can't surf the web, can't run antivirus, can't even do Start->Execute->MsConfig to see what I have at start. Can't even press Ctrl+Alt+Sup to see what processus and applications are running behind... just stuck. I've also tried to press F8 when window stars to use the 'no driver mode' and debugging mode... nothing...

Does that sounds like a virus to you ?  What else can I do except format and reinstall ? :(

:)

Thanks for reading me

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2014 - 11:50 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hello farouga, how is it after either or both f these.

Download FixExec.exe to your desktop.
Double click on the downloaded file to run the fix.
When the program has finished, it will generate a log on the desktop called FixExec.txt.
Post the log in your next reply.

NOTE: If for any reason you're not able to execute FixExec.exe rename it to FixExec.com, FixExec.pif or FixExec.scr.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

Edited by boopme, 19 June 2014 - 11:40 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 farouga

farouga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Hi BoopMe.

Thank you so much for this fast answer but as I said I can't open any programs included internet browsers ! I can only browse through local folders and files. I'm connecting to this forum with my Mac Book :(

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

OOps thought you got to desktop and then nada... Were you removing Malware when this happened?

Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking?

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 farouga

farouga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

yes i get to desktop fine, but can't open anything from desktop. no I wasn't removing anything....the only unusual thing I may have done lately is to install xamp server...?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Are you able to do a System Restore to a date before this happened?

You can also try putting those on a flash drive and see if you can access that drive and run them.

#7 farouga

farouga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hellooo !!

I have news lol

I was finally capable to boot my pc this morning under the ...how do you call that in english ? the 'no driver mode' or something ? you know when you press F8 at start ? so it would open the desktop, and I could start anything I want, but all programs would open extremely slowly. ??? So i've downloaded your program called fixexec.exe from my mac, run it on my pc and it said 'all .exe programs should run ok now'. Then I've run my Avast antivirus. It came ip with no results. I've done an update last week. Then I've run Spybot and it came up with 15 threats and deleted them. I've run msconfig to unchek all services lauching at win start, reboot the pc hoping for a miracle...but no.....I still can't start any programs from the desktop in normal mode. :(

thanks for you attention

ps : I can't do a system restore since I never backup my system

Edited by farouga, 20 June 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Ok ...It called Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking

As you seem to have deeper infection I want you to try to do this..

Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

#9 farouga

farouga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

ho dear, I'm affraid I've lost my mind yesterday and I've reinstalled everything......... :cherry: :orange:

It works ok now but I'm sorry I have wasted your time :ph34r:

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

No Problem.. Sometimes it's what you have to do..

How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users