Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to do this right.............patience please.......ty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 country_girl

country_girl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

I am not a new computer user, but do admit to being very confused about following the correct protocol in forums or message boards as I have never used one.

I imagine this stems from the fear that they contain unnecessary exposure to "the world" ......lol. I don't do social media, chat rooms, or other such internet activity. I have also never had a serious virus issue and do not wish to start now **smile**  However, I am not so naive as to believe I don't need to keep up with security measures to protect my basic information in addition to 5000+ pictures that are very important to me housed on my computer.

While researching internet security I began to realize how out-of-touch I really am about current options. I have been running Kaspersky for about 4 years on a home desktop (still has Win XP on it) and now a recent laptop (Win 7). I have used both Pure and Internet Security and haven't experienced any noticeable problems other than an occasional glitch. But I also don't know if I have things on either computer that are problematic even though I am unaware of them.

So, this is my reason for joining a forum. I read a post by dc3 (at least I think that was the username) that was very thoughtful and thorough and decided if I needed to join one forum to occasional assistance then this was as good as any. I also appreciated the name "Bleeping Computer" -- creativity is always a plus.

I wish I could say that I would be helpful to others as well, but that may have to be a future result as I do not believe I am able to offer anything at this time **sorry**.

So thank you in advance for any help that is offered - it is much appreciated!

Now I am going to try and figure out how to decide which internet security software I should buy before my current one expires in 8 days.

Have a great day!

Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Welcome Robin.  I'm fairly new to BC myself, I've been here a little less than a month, but I have to say I think you'll find BC a great forum for computer Q & A.  

There're many choices for antivirus and antimalware protection.  I use Norton Security Suite on my Windows 7 computers; I get it free from Comcast, my ISP.  On my Windows 8 computers I use Defender which includes MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials).  I also use the free Malwarebytes, but have used the free versions of AVG and Avast in the past with good experiences.  I have to say that if your ISP provides free antivirus protection, you should check it out.  There's a plethora of choices AND opinions.  :)

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 country_girl

country_girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Thank you wpgwpg.............. Very cute pup too! 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

You're welcome.  The dog is cute and very friendly, but he sure can make a whole lot of racket when he wants to!

For more info on security if you're interested, check out some of Quiteman7's posts on the subject.  This link might be good for starters:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69440/the-ten-most-dangerous-things-users-do-online/page-3?hl=%2Bquietman7+%2Bsecurity#entry1356816

Edited by wpgwpg, 19 June 2014 - 04:07 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users