Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd modem behavior and "packed" files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mobnigoszh

Mobnigoszh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

My computer has a strange problem.

I have had it checked and various anti virus programs run on it and it comes up clean.

But every once in a while--several times a day--something very odd happens to it.

The internet light on the modem becomes steady rather than flickering.  Then the light becomes dark; not on at all.

The computer ceases to function properly.  You can't refresh or reopen anything.

After a few minutes, it goes back to normal.

Kaspersky doesn't register anything bad having happened as such.  But it registers multiple, multiple "events" as having occurred.

They are all titled "object (file) packed".  "C:/users/appdata/Firefox/profiles/[numbers]...default...[numbers].../cache/   etc" appears.

This happens many times each day.

Any idea what is going on or what to do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Since you neglected to mention who your ISP is, what make and model your modem is, what make and model your computer is, or what version of Windows you're running, all I can tell you is that my dog broke my crystal ball.   :lmao:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Mobnigoszh

Mobnigoszh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Okay, I am a silly ass.  And being a silly ass who knows little to nothing about computers, it didn't occur to me that those things would make any difference to a basic judgment of what might be going on.

Thank you for telling me otherwise!

My ISP is Verizon.  My computer make and model is Hewlett Packard CQ2014.  My modem appears to be Westell/Wind River, model 6100F.  And I am running Windows 7.

As I was saying, I was expecting an answer along the lines of "Eek!  Most likely you have a Trojan Flibbertigibbet XL 2000 Soul Cruncher!   You will need to replace the mothership!"  or "No worries.   It's probably just a bad modem.  Firefox likes to pack these objects but they usually have no effect on speed."

Maybe my question should be, Where does a silly ass go to try to find out how to put a question about all this?  Thanks for giving me a start.  :)

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'd say the best place to ask would be Verizon.  Maybe someone here will come along who has the same equipment and ISP as you.  I have Comcast and use their modem which supplies a modem made by Arris.  It has an online light which is on solidly and a link light which blinks with my cable service.  One other thing you need to add is whether you have 3G, 4G, DSL, or cable service with Verizon, but again it's a bit like auto dashboards.  They're all different.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Mobnigoszh

Mobnigoszh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Okay, let me clarify my understanding of what you are saying since I have already spent some time with Verizon.

This phenomenon doesn't sound like an evil thing living in my computer but rather something going wrong with the ISP or the modem?

The "packed files" don't sound like something being sucked out or stuffed in?   I should probably put that worry aside?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Maybe my question should be, Where does a silly ass go to try to find out how to put a question about all this? Thanks for giving me a start. :)

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Before you post about a problem, Some simple guidelines

BTW, Verizon is my ISP and I have a similar problem from time to time. I live in a rural area and the nearest tower is quite a distance away so its not always optimal for usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't use Kaspersky and you don't give any names for the packed files, so I can only guess what you're talking about.  It appears though that you're getting the message about the Firefox browser cache.  What Firefox puts in there has to do with the internal workings of Firefox that I don't know why you'd need to worry about.  Browsers typically put stuff they download into a cache on the hard drive to prevent having to go back and download them over the Internet when possible.  If Firefox chooses to compress what it puts in there, that sure wouldn't bother me

Re the source of the problem, yes I'd say that since you're talking about what you're seeing on your modem, I don't know why you'd need to worry about anything "evil" on your computer.  Your connection to Verizon comes first through the modem, then to a router if you have a separate one, then to your computer, although anything you send out obviously goes in the other direction.  If the connection between Verizon and your modem is intermittent, that certainly wouldn't be caused by your computer.  Since Quiteman7 apparently has a similar setup to yours, and he says what you're seeing can be quite normal, I'd trust what he says.  Given that he's made over 31,000 posts here and is a MS MVP, he has very strong credentials.  I'll add that I haven't read anything he says that I'd disagree with.

Good luck.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

I forgot to mention that it is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to have problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read).

#9 Mobnigoszh

Mobnigoszh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Thank you both!

This is the name of one of the packed files, or rather it is all the information listed by Kaspersky about it:

Object (file) packed

File

C:\users\jeff\appdata\local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\2iip2j3z.default-1402947296659\Cache\E\89\15CC6d01

Packer

S2f25wc

Application

Firefox

Time

Today, 4:06 PM

Object (file) packed

File

C:\users\jeff\appdata\local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\2iip2j3z.default-1402947296659\Cache\E\89\15CC6d01

Packer

S2f25wc

Application

Firefox

Time

Today, 4:06 PM

All of them are basically the same.   And let me list them  by time of occurrence, just the ones that have happened since this morning.  So you can see how many there are. 

Backwards in time from now:

1 at 4 06

another at 4 06

one at 4 05

another at 4 05

another at 4 05

3 16

3 16

3 16

3 16

3 16

3 16

1 41

1 38

1 36

1 36

1 36

1 36

1 36

1 36

1 36

1 19

1 19

1 18

1 18

1 18

1 18

okay well you get the idea

it goes on like this all the time, not "from time to time"

If it's normal, why would Kaspersky be interested in it?  And what the heck IS it anyway?

And why would it coincide with my modem and ISP service acting weird?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Your best option would be to ask Kasperksy support like so many other users who have encountered "Object (file) packed files" - see here.

Kaspersky Technical Support
Open a Support Ticket
Call Personal & Family Support
Kaspersky Lab Forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users