Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word very slow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dcstim

dcstim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

I have searched the forum and can't find reference to my problem, I hope someone can help.

I recently had to factory reset my laptop running Windows 7.  I reloaded MS Office 2010 and now find that it takes forever to open a Word document.  I have very little else running on the laptop and Word used to open really quickly, but now it is really slow.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

Make & model, version of Windows?  How much RAM?  How old is your computer?

It sounds like you have a lot of disk activity going on, but all I can do is to make a stab in the dark not knowing the above details. 

My version of Office 2007 has an app called Office Diagnostics under Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools.  If you have that, you should run it and see if it spots a problem.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hey

Just to add to the above, can you use any other office product okay? 

Excel for example.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Windows 8

Asus Laptop

1.50GHz Intel ® Celeron ® CPU 1007u

4.00GB Ram

64-bit OS x64 based processor

I only have Office 2010 loaded apart from the stuff that comes with the machine.

#5 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Excel is part of Office.

Try opening that.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#6 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

Excel seems to open without any issues.  With Word, irrespective of whether I double click a file or open the application and then go to the file it takes ages compared to before!

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

I have to say that 1.50GHz Intel ® Celeron ® CPU 1007u is a pretty slow processor, but since Excel loads OK, you'd expect Word to do the same.

Do you have those Office Diagnostics under Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools I mentioned yesterday?  Have you run them?  We need you to do that if we're going to help you.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

I can't find them in Windows 8 as there isn't a Start button!

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

There is the Start CHARM in Windows 8.  Wiggle the mouse in the upper right corner of your monitor, and the charms will appear.  The top one is the Search charm.  Type in Office.  Click Microsoft Office Diagnostics.

If you should want to have a Start BUTTON and menu, you can download and install the FREE Classic Shell from classicshell.net.

Edited by wpgwpg, 20 June 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#10 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

Many thanks to wpgwpg and Darktune.  I finally found out the cause of my problem and unfortunately for me it has made me the recipient of the "PC Idiot of the Year" award!  Each time I turn on my laptop I go straight into MS Office which is where most of my work is done.  What I failed to realise is that my anti-virus software was set to do a full scan each time I powered on!  I have now changed the setting and Word/Excel open up without any delay!

My apologies if I have wasted anyone's time.

Thanks again

#11 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

:clapping: Glad you found your issue. 

Don't apologise, these things happen :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users