Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Question] Weird neighbor Wifi type

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ptolemymarkas

ptolemymarkas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I just found a weird wifi with a different symbol as the rest of the ssid's. I've attached a jpg image showing a wifi with ssid "brother". Nothing out of ordinary until a triple-pc network icon is shown instead of the usual signal strength bar. What does this icon signify?

Anyone can help me identify what the icon means?

edit: Forgot to add the tooltip -

Name: brother

Signal Strength: Poor

Security Type: Unsecured

Radio Type: 802.11b

SSID: brother

~ptolemymarkas

Attached Files

Edited by ptolemymarkas, 19 June 2014 - 08:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

I've seen this before I think it was for a network printer. 

Although I'm not sure. I'm now interested and shall be following this topic.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

That is a peer-to-peer network icon (as opposed to infrastructure). It's configured to allow a device (pc, phone, pad) to connect directly to the printer rather than to a shared WiFi network. Several printer manufacturers configure these by default (you can have a lot of fun with them because the passwords are either missing or default, so you can print strange messages on your neighbor's printer. I had a neighbor that was sure that Aliens were communicating with him.) Usually it means they just pulled the printer out of the box and plugged it in, probably using USB or wired Ethernet to talk to it. Normally you would want to reconfigure a wireless printer to an infrastructure client (like most client devices) so you can print to it from any device on your local wired or wireless LAN.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I thought so!

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 ptolemymarkas

ptolemymarkas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for a fast reply, guys.

So basically, this network icon means it is a wireless printer from my neighbor. I learned something new. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users