Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trust in bleeping computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ujjwaljoshi78

ujjwaljoshi78

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

how can we trust that in the process of helping us u r not snooping on our computers? have a healthy discussion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Do you give advice on any of the topics?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

how can we trust that in the process of helping us u r not snooping on our computers? have a healthy discussion.

We have been offering advice for over 10 years, we have helpers, colleagues, and members who are employees of almost all major commercial anti-virus programs, I have been a Microsoft Security MVP for 10 years in a row, we are commonly written up and interviewed by the press and media.  Don't you think that by now if we were doing something as stupid as you mention we would not have been found out already?

Our reputation speaks for itself. If you are still concerned, then online help sites are not the place for you.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

I 2nd Grinler's response

"how can we trust that in the process of helping us u r not snooping on our computers? have a healthy discussion"

--- You are not proposing a "healthy discussion"

--- Have you been part of any other websites for computer support, your local computer sales and repair shops, don't they request technicalities for your computer?

--- Have you ever sked tham about snooping?

And as kaz20 asks "Do you give advice on any of the topics?"

--- If you do, how are you going to be able to help when certain "healthy discussion" information is needed

--- If you don't, well - don't

When I help my family and friends if I need to know technicalities and issues of how they use their computers I have been asked about the snooping concept you bring up so I now have an upfront statement to them

--- I have to look at some technicalities of what your computer consists of and what's going on with some of the websites you are concerned about. Is that ok? I am not in the business of checking your personal information but if you want someone else to service/dig into your computer be my guest

--- I'd like to add some people are even willing to let me know their password(s) and I never take any of them

I wasn't even going to bother with your concept of a "healthy discussion" but I know for a fact BC's reputation is solid

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not out to get you!  What are you doing that you're so worried about?  Think about what Grinler said.  Do you want free help or not?  If you want something to worry about re snooping, I'd worry about malware and governments snooping.  Personally if they snoop on me they're going to be mighty bored.  :unsure:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,667 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

IMHO our approach is under much greater scrutiny then any other type of computer repair service. Everything we do and use is publicly accessible and reviewable by anyone at any time.

Unless help is given via private message, which we do not allow here, then you have nothing to worry about.

#7 ujjwaljoshi78

ujjwaljoshi78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

ok.thank you

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Well, answer this-do we ever ask for anything that would otherwise hurt you? Do we ask for your home location, name, bank account information, what your wife looks like (or even if you have one) You can usually tell a scammer by what they ask for! the staff here, have, and never will, ask for such details-we are interested in helping you, fix your computer. We don't care if you have a brand new $10,000 machine or a dinosaur running windows 3.1-we want to help you get it running again. any and all questions asked are aimed, specifically-at your computer and what it is doing, not what your using it for, not where you live or anything like that. We have no need to spy on you, about the only thing we can get that would "track you" is your IP address-which we and anyone else you connect to-get automatically when you logon, and which the government already has. 

We don't ask for money. We just ask what your computer is doing so we can assist you in fixing it. That is how you know were not trying to pull anything hanky on you. There is no motive for us to hurt you, spy on you, or anything else negative. We are all volunteers who just enjoy helping people. And like Grinler said we have a solid reputation-with over 30,000 members. With that many members, if we were being anything but honest about our motives-we wouldn't have such a steller reputation.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 Offset

Offset

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

In my time helping people to remove malware from their computer (not at this forum) I have had people ask this very question. Some people have gone so far as to actually tamper with the logs they post, replacing their name with a false one eg: "C:\Documents And Settings\Larry Fake\Documents" and occasionally some others have been horrified that programs they have installed on their computer might be visible for others to see on the internet.

If you're concerned about any of these things being made public, then online help is not for you. Never in the course of helping and watching others do the same, have I seen any personal details about someone I've helped. Adware will happily send off your internet browsing history to people in another country who you've never met, Google like most search engines will record what you search for, but I can safely say as the others before me have already done, no genuine helper will ever ask you for personal information, nor would they be interested even if you accidentally uploaded your family vacation photos instead of your log files (they'd just be removed in all honesty).

Finally, if you're worried at all about the tools and programs that you're asked to run when removing infections, it's worth bearing in mind just how many members there are at this forum, and at every other help forum that uses those tools. I seriously doubt all those thousands of people are 'in' on the same scam, certainly it would be next to impossible for it not to have been revealed before now, if one of the tools malware removal helpers depend on had some kind of backdoor into your computer.

Perhaps however the most compelling argument would be to simply take a look at how many people there are here at Bleeping Computer who help fellow members every day to remove malware, fix their computers and all the time they expect nothing in return. I seriously doubt the conscience of these obviously good people would allow them to even consider scamming or extorting information from the very people who look to them for help. :) 

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

I'd like to add that if you have concerns bring them up with the person that's helping you.
Personally I have no problem to work with altered user names in logs as long as you know how to restore them back into the fixes I give you.
If you have a fear of a tool, tell me. We will discuss the advantages and drawbacks of a tool and finally, if you still do not like the tool, we can look for alternatives.
The alternative may be a reformat of your PC, but there is always an alternative if you absolutely do not want to run xyz.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

the fact is this, until you run an exe file from here you have not handed out anything remotely private. when you are advised to run an exe file from here check it with several antivirus programs you already trust, they will show it to be clean. then you can verify for yourself that this site is trustworthy, which i have always found it to be. If one's antivirus has trouble with a tool from here, it did once with me the first time i ran securitycheck.exe contact the antivirus company and report it as a false positive. They will run detailed tests and come back a few days later, most certainly telling you the exe file is safe and the software was just being overly paranoid. As for logs they contain programs you have installed, all named, and sometimes the odd file name. in that case let the world see the program list, it's hardly a dark secret, and rewrite any file names (for stuff in your own documents folders only ofcourse, file names need to stay the same for system files)you would rather no-one knew. To trust someone/something you need to verify it, the above tips should help you do that.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 prxcz

prxcz

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Comlplete trust from me.   It's quite obvious the goal here is to help us get rid of malicious programs (in my case anyway).  They go above and beyond that though.  Continuing to work with users to get their entire system in the best condition possible.  I believe Gringo_pr had my virus wiped clean in the first few steps.  But he is going way beyond that to help me get the system completely clean and optimized. 

My original problem came when I downloaded MalwareBytes from what I thought was a trustworthy source.  In addition to that,  I failed to completely read all the accept/decline bs and loaded some bad programs.   When I used the link porvided on bleepingcomputer to download MalwareBytes,  it was a clean install with none of the addware that was on my download.  Yeah,  I think I know where I'll come when needing legit programs.

Thanks everyone at BC for the awesome site, tools, resources and help.  I would say if you don't have time or trust to follow through with what they ask you to do,  you probably shouldn't be here.  I see way too many threads where the BC professional is the last post because the user just went away.  They put a lot of volunteer time into offering potential solutions.  The least we could do is to follow through.  Yes, it is time consuming sometimes.  But it is for the users benefit.  I also feel donations are well deserved.  Remember,  they are offering their time and expertise for free............

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

log tampering (to the point of scribbling out a very personal file name or putting a note over certain details saying "private info") isn't necessarily harmful as long as the person posting the log makes it clear where they have altered, a list of the installed programs on your computer is not really a very privacy compromising thing so that sort of stuff doesn't need to be changed and certainly shouldn't. there is some info i would never share, i check through every log before i upload it, i have rarely seen anything even remotely private.

as for comparing this to a repair shop, the fact that you can get multiple advice from separate people on here makes it often MORE trustworthy. I certainly don't think i would trust the repair shops around where i live. also this site, certainly it's downloads section, has become one of my most trusted sources for system tools/antiviral scanners.

as for tracking with IP addresses, this site knows your IP the second you visit it. as does every other site online. any site you visit can, if the owner can be bothered to set up the right facilities, track you by your IP across any part of that site you visit, across any other site that the same person runs and if you visit the same site again years later (if they can be bothered to store such logs for so long). they can track you on more sites by use of cookies, so unless you like seeing ads that make you think "how the hell do they know i want one of those?" you should clear them atleast every few days, better every few hours. IP addresses are not usually very private information.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users