Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would this monitor still be better colours?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jordss

Jordss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've been reading around reviews of a few monitors I like which are fast. But they are all TN panel, I've read around what it is and from what I've found is its cheap, not got the best colours but it's by far the fastest. Now my current monitor which I've had for years is a VGA connection, resolution is only 1360 X 768 and it is 18.5 inch. That is a TFT TN (Which I don't have a clue what this is) But if I bought a TN monitor which is 1920 X 1080 and 24 inch, would it be better colours than my current monitor or would it still really be the same? Also I'd be using HDMI with the new one. Would it also look better and be better quality then my current monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

This article might help you decide: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

TN panels are cheap but actually have some of the worst color reproductions. I prefer IPS monitors myself, they tend to have slightly slower response times (5ms or so) but from what I have seen, they have the best color accuracy. IPS is more expensive as well.

Edited by zingo156, 19 June 2014 - 08:06 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thankyou for the reply, I do understand these but I just don't know which type to get, I'm not sure weather If I bought a new monitor that is full HD the colours would still look a bit better than my current monitor. I do play a lot of slower browser games, and I'm on skype a lot! But I do play for a few hours things like Crossfire (fps) and other things like APB reloaded where you can see the full character and shoot (forgot what it's called lol) I don't know weather 5ms would be enough, I do like the sound of IPS but I also want speed just incase, also I don't know how much response time I'd need for FPS like COD on Xbox 360, do you know? What would you recommend after what I've said? I really don't know, I just don't want it to be too slow or see a lot of blur or ghosting when I do play the fps games and xbox!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

5ms response time should be plenty in all of those situations. Most tv's have slower response times than that. Also the frequency in Hz (hertz determines how many frames per second the monitor can render. 60Hz = 60 frames per second maximum. Being that there are 1000miliseconds in a second a 5ms GTG response time would mean the pixels can change color 3 times faster than 1 frame on the 60Hz screen can be rendered.

What this means is that a monitor with 5ms response time would keep up even running at 200Hz, the only time you would run into any problems with ghosting in theory is if you had a monitor that was running over 200Hz or 200 frames per second. Most monitors are not this fast. Generally they are 60-120Hz.

You should be fine with any monitor that has 60Hz or higher and less than 8ms GTG response time. I prefer the IPS panel over all others I have owned so far.

You could actually get away with using a 60Hz monitor with 16ms response time or 120Hz monitor with 8ms response time. You won't be able to tell the difference between 5ms and 2ms. I doubt anyone would notice from 10ms to 5ms response time.

Edited by zingo156, 19 June 2014 - 09:26 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Could anyone tell me if this monitor would be good for gaming? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/samsung-ls24d590-full-hd-23-6-led-monitor-22070271-pdt.html It says it 'boasts a gaming mode' which I don't know how this would effect it, but would this be able to play fps and xbox 360 well? Would there be much ghosting or anything?

#6 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Or would this be any better? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pc-monitors/monitor-projectors/pc-monitors/aoc-i2369vm-full-hd-23-ips-led-monitor-with-mhl-21408588-pdt.html Sorry for double post, it won't let me edit:(

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Either would be fine, one uses more power than the other. Xbox 360's only run around 30fps in most games, so any monitor will be fast enough. I would read reviews on amazon or another website to get a good idea about reliability etc.

#8 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ok thankyou! Another quick weird question though, is a TV more like a IPS or TN? My current monitor is TN and I've looked at it from below and from the side and I don't really see it go darker very much, or not as much as I thought anyway, hmm!

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

TV's have different panel types just like monitors. I do not know which panel type is the most common, due to cost I would guess the TN panels are used the most.

#10 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hmmmm, might get a TN panel one, is it a massive difference between the colours? Can you get TN panels that are better with colours and show them more then other? Sorry for so many questions, it's just I'm upgrading pretty big and I don't want to end up getting the wrong one, just want to try get the perfect monitor for me, I have a few things I want in a monitor haha

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

You can do a search on youtube for TN vs IPS. I can not tell you which is better, it depends on the cost of the panel (quality) and then IPS generally have better colors which for me is more important than having a 2ms response time. I am sure there are some nice TN panels out there as well. You really have to look at them side by side to see the difference.

#12 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:17 AM

Ok thankyou, I will check out some youtube videos and do some more research on them today, to find out more about them and which suits my needs best! I'll try find my best IPS and TN monitor too and ask and compare! Just wondering, but would a TN monitor be able to handle an Xbox 360 on fps games like cod and battle field 3 without lagging or ghosting?

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

Any decent modern monitor will not lag with any xbox 360 game.

#14 Jordss

Jordss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hope so, I've been thinking and researching on my current monitor... I've currently got a 60hz, 2ms TN panel Monitor. I was wondering, if I got a 60hz 5ms ips monitor,in would you really see any difference between the two regarding speed and gaming? As they are both 60hz but the ips is 3ms slower?

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

You would not notice any difference at all. With 5ms GTG, the limiting factor with any 60hz monitor is 60hz, which is 60fps. Xbox's typically run at 30fps so that monitor would be capable of double the frame rate the xbox can render out.

Edited by zingo156, 22 June 2014 - 04:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users