Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHAT IS THE TOP RATED ANTIVIRUS/FIREWALL PROGRAM?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy9108

Nancy9108

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hi.  I am a computer novice.  In the past I have been infected with a rootkit trojan.  I have been using Avast.  I am not sure that is the best software/firewall program available.  Their technical assistance has been horrible and has caused my computer to have more problems that I started out with.  I have a neighbor that has come over to solve several issues with my computer and I am now up and running ok now.  I have a quadriplegic son on life support and need the advice of computer experts.

WHAT IS THE TOP RATED ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM AND WHAT IS THE TOP FIREWALL PROGRAM?  I AM RUNNING MALWAREBYTES AND MALWAREBYTES ANTI-ROOTKIT UTILITY.  MY NEIGHBOR ALSO INSTALLED SPYBOT AND GLARY UTILITIES.

INSTEAD OF THE AVAST ANTISPYWARE AND FIREWALL DO YOU HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO A BETTER SOFTWARE PROGRAM?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

NANCY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:Same applies to Firewall...see Choosing a Firewall

BTW, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

Thus, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware program...together they provide the most comprehensive protection.

See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

I also recommend using SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:11 PM

Here is a list (in no particular order) of many Free / Trial / and Paid versions,. It is up to the downloader to decide if the program will suit them.

Most of these I know of, or have heard about, but the choices are not mine to make.

Also make sure that the Antivirus is not included with a Registry Cleaner (so I left several out).

P = Paid Antivirus

F = Free Antivirus

B = Paid and Free both Available

Avira Antivirus [ B ]

Avast Antivirus [ B ]

AVG Antivirus [ B ]

Immunet Protect [ B ]

Emsisoft Antimalware [ B ] free version has no Real time Protection

Digital Patrol [ P ]

K7 Antivirus [ P ]

eScan Antivirus [ P ]

Comodo Antivirus [ P ]

Dr.Web Antivirus [ P ]

Digital Defender Antivirus [ P ]

Norman Antivirus [ P ]

Clam Antivirus [ F ]

F-Prot Antivirus [ P ]

Kaspersky Antivirus [ P ]

Trend Micro Antivirus [ P ]

Sophos Antivirus [ P ]

Panda Cloud Antivirus [ B ]

Eset Antivirus [ P ]

FortiClient Antivirus [ B ]

Solo Antivirus [ P ]

Twister Antivirus [ P ]

Ad-Aware Internet Security [ B ]

VBA32 Antivirus [ P ]

Quick Heal Antivirus [ P ]

Rising Antivirus [ B ] A Chinese Speciality,

Kingsoft Antivirus [ B ]

Vexira Antivirus [ P ]

Arcavir Antivirus [ P ]

nProtect Antivirus [ P ]

ViRobot Antivirus [ P ]

Antiy Antivirus [ P ]

System Shield Antivirus [ P ]

CSAM Antivirus [ P ]

Blue Point Security [ P ]

Microsoft Security Essentials [ F ]

Net Protector Antivirus [ P ]

eAcceleration Antivirus [ P ]

Zillya! Antivirus [ B ]

Paretologic Antivirus Plus [ P ]

Blink Personal [ P ]

Drive Sentry [ P ]

FSB Antivirus [ P ]

Norton Antivirus [ P ]

Coranti Antivirus [ P ]

Ashampoo Anti-malware [ P ] Note : It is listed as Antimalware

Trustport Antivirus [ P ]

Webroot Antivirus [ P ]

My Free Antivirus [ F ]

F-Secure Antivirus [ P ]

Bullguard Antivirus [ P ]

CA Antivirus [ P ]

Cyber Defender [ P ]

Protector Plus [ P ]

G Data Antivirus [ P ]

Max Secure Antivirus [ P ]

ClamWin [ F ]

Spyware Doctor [ F ]

Outpost Antivirus [ P ]

Zone Alarm Antivirus [ P ]

BitDefender Antivirus [ P ]

McAfee Antivirus [ P ]

Tizer Secure [ P ]

Vipre Antivirus [ P ]

Windows Defender on Windows 8 Similar to upgraded Microsoft Security Essentials ..........

I have not checked all of the links, but trusted the supplier of this list to be reasonably honest.

65 programs have been included, and I am just waiting for someone to add 3 , 4 , or 5 more to it.

I created this "basic" list a while back and I have since discovered about 20 more programs to choose from, in paid and free versions (still making the list).

Several are simple programs, while others like Kaspersky Antivirus [ P ] have about 4 versions of their program to make the choice harder.

Due to this, I have personally chosen a simple Antivirus program (that I see no point in telling people), and backed it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I also installed WinPatrol and W.O.T. as extras.

Take Avira Antivirus [ B ] (just first on the list), and I can not comment on the Free Vs Paid versions, while Ad-Aware Internet Security [ B ] has been downgraded by many over its many previous versions, when it was more popular about 10 years ago.

And now Norton Antivirus [ P ] has improved greatly over the "heavy" earlier versions.

So to look at these and to pick one over the other, you need their history as well as current versions and usage.

Norton Antivirus [ P ] also known as Symantec, has several versions just for business as well as the personal use versions, like McAfee Antivirus [ P ]

So therefore I am a great believer of the statement by quietman7 >>> There is no universal "one size fits all" solution <<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users