Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blank screen after starting up computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cosmos600

cosmos600

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

Hi

Please could someone help me out with a dell laptop 64 bit os. It has a blank screen after start up and on start up goes to recovery start up but when it opens up the screen is blank and no desktop page is produced. I have posted before and no reply, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Do you see a cursor? Is it moveable?

#3 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi 

Yes I can see a cursor and it is moveable

Thanks

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Ok see if you can get into Startup Repair. In most models you would need to repeatedly tap the F8 key after turning on the system until you a boot options menu. The first option should be Repair Your Computer.

Edited by Netghost56, 19 June 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#5 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hi

I have tried the F8 on start up and pressed the first option repair your computer, the screen then goes blank and then the cursor appears. Should I try the other options.  

Thanks  

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Get yourself a Win7 install disc, and try to access the Startup Repair that way. Boot from the disc.

#7 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hi 

I do not have access to a Win7 instal disc. Do you think a windows 8 install disc upgrade would work.

Thanks

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

No. The fact that it goes to the recovery option on startup indicates there are corrupt files that need to be repaired or replaced. You need to use a Windows 7 install disk to make sure the files are repaired properly, or are replaced with the correct versions.

You can download a free copy of the Windows 7 install disk from Microsoft, but it may not fix the issue as most manufacturers customize the Windows install. Best bet is to contact Dell and have them send you a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users