Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

formatting hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

so i was thinking of formatting my hard drive where the OS is contained, i read that if i do that the OS will be deleted too. question: since the OS of this laptop was upgraded to a higher version of windows, if i format the hard drive, the upgraded OS will be deleted along with it original one right? and if i install the same original OS, will i be able to upgrade again, after the format?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:09 AM

Everything will be deleted.

If this was a pre-installed system you could do a factory image restore utilizing the Recovery Partition if you plan to keep the hard drive in the same system it was purchased in. That would reinstall the original OS after formatting.

EDIT: And yes, I see no reason why you couldn't upgrade as you did before. But keep in mind that activation keys only work a limited number of times.

Is there a reason why you are considering a format?

Edited by Netghost56, 19 June 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#3 archaiccitizen

archaiccitizen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

oooh i see.

i kinda inherited this laptop from my dad and its got a lot of stuff in it that i dont need and neither does he (anymore) so im thinking of getting rid of those files so i can have more space for my stuff :)

"factory image restore utilizing the Recovery Partition"

how do i do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users