Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot from recovery disc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bashan

Bashan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

I'm working on a Toshiba laptop. The client says the machine was kicked while running and a USB cord was pulled out. The screen went to In Out error and the machine locked. Now on startup the Toshiba screen comes up then the screen goes blank with a moveable cursor. It will not load a recovery disk or any disc. It says loading files and then goes to the blank screen. Any ideas? The client says there's pictures on there that can't be replaced. I guess they never heard of a backup. I was wondering if there is a disc I could boot off of and run some diagnostics. The Windows installation disk does the same thing...blank screen. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

In a situation like this, I would try Puppy Linux 5.2.8. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. You should see the hard drive in the lower left of the desktop labled sda1. Attach a USB flash drive. The USB icon will appear on the destop next to the optical drive. Click once on the hard drive, the drive will mount with a green dot next to it and the File manager will open showing the contents. Click once on the Flash Drive icon to do the same thing. You can then drag and drop between the hard drive and flash drive windows.

Here is a good explanation on recovering files in Puppy. Do a copy and not a move. Also do not do the ntfsfix. This may be a hardware issue. If you cannot do this with a CD disk you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Another option is to remove the drive and attach to another computer using an external enclosure or USB adapter.

For Diagnostics on the hard drive you can use Seatools for DOS which is also downloaded as a bootable iso. I don't know of any diagnostic disk for other hardware problems.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

I'm wondering if the CD/DVD drive might need cleaning.  Anything's possible in this situation, but that's an easy thing to check & fix.  Check that disc for spots and scratches too.  I usually use Ubuntu or Mint Linux, but booting from a Linux disc is a good idea in any event.  If the disc you're trying to boot from is scratched, you can always make another repair disc on another computer.  I could be more specific, but you didn't say which version of Windows you're using.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Thanks guys. I made a Ubuntu desktop disc and I'm running it right now. I got it to boot to Ubuntu but when I tried to open the hard drive I got a lengthy message:

dc6a59b3-f05d-4ebf-a770-a8b00d0f861d.jpg

This is a little out of my pay grade but from the original error code which was In/Out problem 0xc00000e9, and what I can glean from the Ubuntu message, I would guess a hard drive mechanical failure. Should I still run the above suggestions from your posts? I guess it's worth a shot, I don't think it could get any worse than what it is. I would go ahead and install Ubuntu on the drive, or try I should say, but I think the client is planning on taking it to a data recovery service and I don't want to wipe the drive. But I thought if I could get the OS on the disc I might be able to retrieve the files. Is this a bonehead idea? Also, sorry, it's Windows 7 home premium. Thanks again.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Best bet is to probably remove the hard drive and try to recover any files by connecting the drive to another system and copying them over. The error code indicates the BIOS isn't able to communicate with the hard drive, so even booting from another OS on a CD won't give you access to it as long as it's connected to that laptop.

The error may also indicate the hard drive itself is failing. The fact that the laptop was kicked may have resulted in serious damage to the hard drive itself.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

I'm not a Linux expert, so I'll just say I don't know if you can run chkdsk from it or not.  My choice would be to find another computer with the same version of Windows as that laptop and make a repair disc or flash drive.  Since you didn't say what version of Windows it has, I can't be specific, but from a repair disc you can boot to the command prompt and run that chkdsk /f.  Chkdsk won't destroy any data on that disk.  That would be what I'd do.  

Good luck.

P.S. Roll Tide!

Edited by wpgwpg, 19 June 2014 - 11:39 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

Here's the odd thing. I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to sata two in my main computer, it too has 7 home premium. Any previous time I've did this the HDD in two came up as a slave. With this HDD in two it goes to the I/O error message! It's like the bad HDD takes control. So the BIOS isn't communicating with the HDD. Would it help to update the BIOS? Or is it all in the HDD? I'm going to try the Puppy and see what happens. I'll let y'all know what happens. Roll Tide and War Eagle.....I try to cover all bases down here, it's a dangerous environment. 

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

The fact that you're having the same error message on two different machines means the problem is with the hard drive. Try using an external hard drive enclosure/connector with a USB connection. Connect the drive after the computer has booted, and see if you can navigate through the folders. Backup any important files. The drive is probably toast at this point.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I am not sure if Ubuntu Live CD has this command but I know Puppy does. In page 2 of the link I posted in regards to transferring Puppy, Put the drive back into the computer. Boot the Live CD of Ubuntu and open a terminal. Then type the following. The disk has to be unmounted before you can do this.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1

If there are more than partition on the drive, do the command for those also. ie sda2..

It will try and fix the corruption of the drive. It is not a replacement for Chkdsk but what is also does it flag Windows to do a chkdsk at the next boot. But it may not work depending on if it is a hardware issue or not.

Edit: In Puppy you do not need to use sudo as you are already root.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Roll Tide and War Eagle.....I try to cover all bases down here, it's a dangerous environment. 

Heh, people there take those things VERY seriously, don't they!

Good luck with that hard drive.  I'd either put that drive back in the laptop, boot from a repair disc, and do the chkcsk or go with the enclosure suggestion.  I think either approach is good.  If it's just the file system or the master boot record that's bad, the chkdsk will likely fix it.  If the drive has crapped out, well you know the rest of THAT story.   :dance:

#11 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I was able to boot to the Puppy cd. I copied as many of the folders as I could, many of them simply would not copy. When I tried to open them off of my expansion drive, they were empty. Any ideas on that one? I've about had it with this machine, I think it's toast.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

That could be a file type issue -- Linux uses ext3 or ext4, while Windows is NTFS, and the "cp" copy command in Linux (even launched from a GUI) won't always work with NTFS files.

Last best hope is slap it in an external hard drive enclosure, connect it using USB, and hope the files are accessible.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Shouldn't make a difference. Puppy can read ntfs file systems. Did you try the ntfsfix command? The drive may well be failing. Only other option would be to use ddrescue but you would need a drive that has the same or greater capacity of the bad drive. It a linux command and not very intuitive. It tries to read a sector multiple times in order to retrieve the data. I think if you ran the Seagate Tools diagnostic it would find a failing drive.

Edit: Empty folders probably means bad sectors on the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#14 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

Yes, I ran the Linux fix and two out of three partitions were not repairable. Many of the folders turned up errors when attempting to copy. It will not boot a R & R disc or any other disc at this point. When I first got the machine it booted to R & R and I initiated a disc check. It kicked off half way through and just said errors prevented completion. Never saw that before. The client didn't want a clean install because they had no backup and wanted the "valuable files" restored. Um....backup valuable files? After that it wouldn't boot to anything...Windows installation...nothing. Thanks guys, I'll try the enclosure and then Rufus and see what shakes out. I'll let you know what happens. Rich

#15 Bashan

Bashan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well the client picked their computer up unrepaired. It's my first failure after about 60 jobs since I started doing this. I got kind of cocky since it's been mainly viruses and power supplies. I guess it had to happen. Maybe it's good, put things in perspective. Anyway, I ran two more tests, maybe somebody can pick something up from all of this. The first is the Seagate short drive. The second is the long drive about 3/4 of the way through, it stopped at 90 errors. Thanks for all the help, this is a great site. Rich

43bd8829-6ac8-4007-ac76-048c501f6054.jpg1f38033a-502f-4cb8-bc00-b9a1a90b623c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users