Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems booting after changing hard drives.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

I recently upgraded the SSD in a Samsung Ultra Series 7, after making a recovery flash drive.  The machine loaded windows fine, and everything was going great until I had to install the old SSD to try and retrieve the key for Office 2010.

When I installed the old drive windows crashed every time it tried to boot up (don't have the exact error number in front of me at the moment).  I reinstalled the new drive and everything booted fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

Please post the error number.

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Ok, the  error code is 0x210000a.

This drive was booting into windows just fine until I installed the new ssd.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

When you made the recovery flash drive, did this include the Office Installation?

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

It did, but of course it isn't activated.  It's simply a trial version.  I'm waiting for my friend to get in touch with me to see if he remembers his microsoft account login so I can get the product key, but was hoping to just retrieve it from the old drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

There may be a workaround but with Windows 8 not sure. I have done it on Windows XP. First you would need to replace the drive. Because you have a problem booting in Windows, you would need to download a small linux distro like Puppy 5.2.8 and burn the iso file. You may have to disable Secure Boot in BIOS in order to boot the CD. Boot Puppy and click once on the hard drive icon in the lower left of the desktop. It should mount and a green dot appear next to it. Then browse to the Software Hive on the drive. If Puppy cannot boot on your Windows 8 computer you can use FatDog 64 which can boot UEFI and Secure Boot enabled.

Windows\system32\config

Copy the software hive to a USB flash drive. When you attach the USB flash drive another icon will appear on the desktop. It will mount and a Filemanager window will open as it did for your hard drive. Drag and drop (copy) the software hive to the USB flash drive. Download produkey and run it on another computer. Select File and browse to the software hive on the USB key. It should list your Windows Office key.

You may want to wait and see if your friend can get the key first. If this was an image of the drive with Windows Office installed, produkey may find the key on the SSD driive that is on the computer now. Just run it and it should pick up the keys.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#7 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll be trying that as soon as windows 8 gets done reverting changes to the OS because updates failed...  I'll get back to you and let you know how things go.

Getting a windows PE disk was my first thought, but that puppy linux was nice and small.

#8 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

So I've finally had a chance to run Puppy Linux and copied the registry keys to my flash drive.

Neither the program you suggested, magical jellybean or enchanted keyfinder can open up the registry files.  they all say the hive is corrupt... "The configuration registry databse is corrupt / Run Enchanted Keyfinder as an Administrator"  - did that and still get the same error message.

The files don't even show the registry icon when looking at them in windows explorer.

This is starting to get a bit frustrating.  Still waiting to hear back from my friend about the microsoft account login, but he's out of town right now and I'm guessing he's not getting good service on his phone...

I may end up trying another distro, but not sure the results will be any different when copying the files over.

Edited by Trakeen, 19 June 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

I am not sure what you copied. Was it the one file called Software? It has no extension or icon associated with it.

C:\Windows\System32\config\Software

If that did not work, try the Software hive file located at

C:\Windows\System32\config\Software\Regback

Did you right click produkey and Run as Administrator?

16199.jpg

'

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#10 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

I tried both of those files / directories.  Once I plug the USB drive into the windows 7 machine, and run the product key software none of them recognize the files as registry files or see them as corrupted files.  Like I said, the files just show a blank "page" icon.  No gear and page icon like a regular registry file.

Yes I did run all three programs as administrator and came up against the same problem.  I'm currently trying a copy of Bart PE, and it doesn't even see the installed SSD so I can attempt to copy the registry files to a flash drive.  Strangely enough it does recognize the flash drive, just not the installed SSD.

I'm think I'm at a stalemate.  At this point I think I'll wait for my friend to get back from vacation and hope to God he remembers his Microsoft Account login info so I can get this squared away.  Thanks for the help  JohnC_21.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Sorry you couldn't get it to work. Good Luck on the Microsoft Account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users