Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TAB SCREENS CHANGING BY THEM SELVES

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

I looked every where for this problems answer cause you folks have spent so much time helping me

but can't find a post for an answer

PROBLEM

almost every other day, my one  on line xp mechine i write you from, just jumps from one tab to another, sometimes from just touching a key, as i am writting a word in a sentence.

the jump may be between two different tabs at same site i am at

or a site i left open and plan to go back to latter.

if i am in  many sites it is a problem to get back where i was, if/when it jumps to another open window.

Sometimes my works demands i leave 5-6 tabs going at once to complete a research task, other wise i always stay in "only one tab open position" if i can.

one person on another forum (I have stopped going to) said it may be my key board?

another suggests its a bug

another said my server making late night adjustments

jimbotoo :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 19 June 2014 - 02:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

What sort of computer are you using - a desktop or a laptop? 

It could well be a keyboard problem, which is very easily checked on a desktop by using a different keyboard. If you haven't got a spare, borrow one. It could also be a keyboard problem on a laptop. This is rather harder to test because the keyboards are not easy to get at or swap. Some laptops will work off an external USB keyboard and you could try that.

Another possibility, if it is a laptop, is that you are causing this jumping yourself by accidentally touching the track pad with part of your hand - the base of your thumb is a favourite for this. Again, you can test this by plugging a USB mouse in and disabling the track pad. I have this problem on laptops and always use a mouse if I am going to do any serious work on one.

I think it is unlikely to be your ISP or the web-sites you are using to be causing this. Yes, their local night is a favourite time for carrying out servicing and so on, but they don't do that much of it as to cause the frequency of problems you describe.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:06 AM

HELLO CHRIS

its a xp tower and  external keyboard, it just happed again when i was posting a MS statement on another post thread.

thats the second time here in the middle of writting a post it jumped my writting clear and i had to start all over again.

you may well be right about my provider---but

this company carrier is out in the boonies brother and between 2:00 pm and 4:00 they do, do  things^$%^^&%^*

most times you just lose service for an hour, sometimes a whole day, I just call and complain cause i needed business $ done and they give me a free month, glad your world works better chris

jimbotoo

:bubbles:

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

Still worth your while trying a different keyboard - even if you had to buy one I imagine you could get a basic USB keyboard for about 10 - 15 $US.

Keyboard drivers are at such a basic level of the operating system that you very seldom have problems with them but, since it works for mice, it might be worth going into Device Manager and uninstalling the keyboard drivers then re-booting - this will re-install them. Other than that it probably is some weird side effect of your ISP's technical shortcomings.

Competition does have its advantages. I live in a smallish town in Central Scotland and we can choose from at least three of the major players. And on top of that, the one we are currently with has two of its main call centres within 15 miles of my house and one of my neighbours is a supervisor in the nearer of the two !  Not fair, is it ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

I live in a smallish town in Central Scotland and we can choose from at least three of the major players. And on top of that, the one we are currently with has two of its main call centres within 15 miles of my house and one of my neighbours is a supervisor in the nearer of the two !  Not fair, is it ?

Chris Cosgrove

HI Chris :hello:

Lucky you in a smallish scotish town, here we trade everything with foodstamp food goods since half the pop. is on foodstamps.

Some how i found the device mgr., I had it do a repair check but found no disable  button , i ran check, said it was fine, and no its not my thumb, tho that would be a good guess, as i have ten of them.

where is the disable button on os xp-did not see one,,,, and if you answer this, are you sure it will turn back on at turning comp back on.

lastly congrates on having the largest redhead population in th world, the women are darling :kiss: and the men some real hi minded wits :idea: .

Darn, i never thought i would get to use those 2 above smily-cons :bananas:

Edited by jimbotoo, 15 July 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

OK, I said uninstall, not disable, so here's a pictorial guide. All these screenshots were taken from a laptop running XP SP3 so they should be very similar to what you will see on your computer, if not exactly identical.

Start by clicking 'Start - Settings - Control panel'. When Control panel opens you will see an entry for 'System'. Double click on this and the 'System properties' panel will open, as here -

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3206/d8d09a.jpg

Click on the button that says 'Hardware' and this box will open, then select 'Device manager' -

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/4968/5cae2c.jpg

When 'Device manager' opens you will see that it lists all your hardware, look for 'Keyboard' and it will have a + beside it, if you click on the + sign you will then see the identity of your keyboard. RIGHT click on the keyboard listing itself and this box will appear -

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/9190/950b81.jpg

Click on 'Uninstall' and you will get a warning box like this -

http://imageshack.com/a/img536/539/590c27.jpg

Click 'OK' and the keyboard drivers will uninstall themselves. Use the mouse to close all these boxes and restart your computer, and the keyboard drivers will re-install on boot up.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Chris

Thank you, very very generious post on your part. and i learned a lot, i had never been that deep in my xp pro befor and and took note of many things there, which i will not play with yet, but was a cool journey.

did exactly as you said, everything worked as you said, rebooted/restarted etc.

now I will watch for tab switching and see where we got.

again thanks

Another question, is there a way to make choice/click to open in a new tab without that tab taking over the screen, but sitting on top of screen, with out me moving off original page, this would allow a user to stay where they are till that new tab fully connects-

instead of waiting :crazy:

Reason i ask is my tabs did that for a while about same time I got tab jumping, i clicked "open in new tab" but was not taken there till i clicked it.

jimbotoo :scratchhead:

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2014 - 06:39 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

So it's true - one picture is worth a thousand words !

You will, I am sure, be pleased to know that our correspondence has improved my own knowledge, but I am not convinced that you don't have a keyboard  problem. I am sitting here with three tabs open in my browser and I wondered what the key stroke combinations might be to move from one to another. A little experimentation showed that Ctrl+T creates a new blank tab, and Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3 moves the view from the first to the second to the third tab. This suggests the possibility of a sticking control key, then for example, typing the date would move you around your tabs. A little more thought showed that this is unlikely. If it was the case, every time you typed a 'p' you would open the print dialogue, and paste something every time you typed a 'v'. Borrow a keyboard off some one for an evening, just to eliminate the keyboard.

I don't think it is possible to click on a link or bookmark and choose - or have set - 'Open in new tab' without automatically going there. This may be irritating if it is a large web page and you only have a slow connection, but I think you will just have to live with this one. Certainly this is the case in Firefox, my default browser.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

its true!!! 

A picture is worth a thousand Official Microsoft help pages, :smash:

i always know i am getting ready for a real ride to confusion and no where when a MS help page starts out with- 

"Now lets get started" ......................boy oh boy have i come to fear those words.

Having tired of drugs, sex and rock and roll,  I go to many nature sites to "fork" nature art, "fork"  being GEEKinese for "Save image as" to collect nature pictures, most often the pic file name will be something way off course like "GUTbump18433"

which you have to change to "big yellow duck"

sometimes  the page will have many small images, if you click a picture with -"Open in a new tab" a new tab option appears but you don't move from current page, some of those new tab pictures maybe 18 MB, most days they load fast, but the site leaves you the option of just going down the page and starting 4-5 new tabs that do not open till you click them, if the page is in distant country or the server is slow, a big MB image may take a while, as you point out.

So you can just go down the page adding tabs that never open till you click them after their done loading

the following site you can do this on

http://www.wallpaperpress.com/2010/05/exotic-birds-wallpapers.html

Heres a idea,

my idea, your technical know how- Chris you design a program that lets you click new larger image/pages on a collection image page, but just saves them as dormant tabs so a person  won't have to go nuts watching them load, while they stay on some original art page selecting more art to fork on to more tabs, that wait till you click them

we sell it to MS for 1 billion, split the money, we both buy separate islands with big houses on them, just far enough apart to wave to each other at sunset when we have one of those beach drinks with the little paper umbrella in it,,,,from on our own sandy private beach !

We could call it the program "ChrisBotoo" tab saver.

hahahahahahah

thanks for help and hope i made you grin :hysterical:

PS my tabs are still jumping back and forth, i think its crumbs from grilled whole wheat cheddar cheese sandwiches, will try new board soon, which was a idea i would never have thought of so thank you

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2014 - 12:46 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Glad you found the pictures helped. I keep a small - but expanding - library of these technical screen shots on-line. They are normally easy to make and a clear and well labelled image makes any explanation much easier to understand.

I loved the image of the two budgies, especially as we use to have a pair in the house. Lovely birds, even if two at a time can make an incredible amount of noise.

Don't ask me to write programs - if I sit down with the manual and think VERY hard, I can just about generate a simple program in C+, but don't ask for anything more. My own personal fear and trepidation trigger is the acquaintance who dumps a dead equipment on me and says "A friend of mine had a look at it, but . . ."

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#11 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Glad you found the pictures helped. I keep a small - but expanding - library of these technical screen shots on-line. They are normally easy to make and a clear and well labelled image makes any explanation much easier to understand.

I loved the image of the two budgies, especially as we use to have a pair in the house. Lovely birds, even if two at a time can make an incredible amount of noise.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

your picks placed in the right order beat anything called help i have seen, windows help pages are useless, as they assume you know other things, but not the single thing you ask--TOXIC teaching methods.

it seems the tab switching is mouse related as well, tho it has occurred touching the key board too.

I had a bald eye cockatoo from down under, every time some one would take a shower, she would fly to the shower head and wash herself.

#12 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Don't ask me to write programs - if I sit down with the manual and think VERY hard, I can just about generate a simple program in C+, but don't ask for anything more. My own personal fear and trepidation trigger is the acquaintance who dumps a dead equipment on me and says "A friend of mine had a look at it, but . . ."

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

Hello Chris :hello:

I discovered what was making my computer shot back and forth.

I was kinda shocked when it got real bad, I saw something that freaked me out, I was just sitting there and the cursor started shooting all over the screen like some one else had control of it.

it stopped and would not move, then started doing it again.

THEN MY MOUSE LED WENT OUT

I touched mouse and it went back on but could not move cursor

I opened mouse and found a fried wire that may have fried the mouse too.

new mouse ---90 percent of problem fixed.

yahoo is still doing strange stuff, but i think that is yahoo.

thanks for your very clear and friendly direction, :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

also i may book mark this page, i have never had a mod tell me they learned anything from talking to me. LOL hahahah

#13 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

I don't think it is possible to click on a link or bookmark and choose - or have set - 'Open in new tab' without automatically going there. This may be irritating if it is a large web page and you only have a slow connection, but I think you will just have to live with this one. Certainly this is the case in Firefox, my default browser.

Chris Cosgrove

Hello Chris  :hello:

Sorry brother, this will be helpful and irritating

but you can click a link and have a new tap open without going there and have it just hang up there, which is nice if it will not reach destination for a while fill screen with the pic you clicked, and so you don't want to open it yet.

I don't know where i was , but I came across a command that gives the option to click and have the tab just post up there without opening on the new tab. doing this now i can click on picture after picture and as the tab links fills and stop spinning, i can open the tab filled with a art page---no waiting WOW, some times 2-3 tabs are spinning at once as I add new tabs to open as they fill.

BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I FOUND THE COMMAND TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN  sorry brother

in America will call budgies "parakeets" they are very demanding once spoiled, and if you listen carefully they talk in their masters voice when they talk--WILD :bananas:

jimbotoo :scratchhead:

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

I am very glad that you have finally solved the cause of the bulk of your problems. I must remember your symptoms because I have never known a mouse fail in just this way. They usually either just die or will only move the cursor in one dimension, which is what happened to me the first time I ran into a deceased mouse. The cursor would happily go up and down the screen but not across.

But your point about me learning something from you - I have never ever claimed to know it all !  The day I stop learning will be on the same day I stop looking at women, it will be the day they screw the lid down.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

I am very glad that you have finally solved the cause of the bulk of your problems. I must remember your symptoms because I have never known a mouse fail in just this way. They usually either just die or will only move the cursor in one dimension, which is what happened to me the first time I ran into a deceased mouse. The cursor would happily go up and down the screen but not across.

But your point about me learning something from you - I have never ever claimed to know it all !  The day I stop learning will be on the same day I stop looking at women, it will be the day they screw the lid down.

Chris Cosgrove

hello chris

for better diffinition I should tell you, yahoo still jumps around, but i have all cookies blocked and i am sure that is some of it

I am going to re flow the solder on the wires to mouse and yank quicky, cut off about a foot of wire and solder the wires back in and see if i get a mouse back to use. as there is bare wire in there some where.....-Mayby- remembering the led is read by a eye, catching reflections from mose movement, it might be eye with intermentent problem, it might be mouse wire and eye.

when i get around to getting the soldering iron out and doing above I will try to post out come, but i suspect eye was bad too, not just wire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users