Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Failure Post Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bearspencer

bearspencer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

IE 11 will not open the home page upon its start; nor will it navigate to other sites.

Here's what happened.

Last night I was updating programs (java, flash, etc.) on a friend's laptop at the behest of Update Checker "Filehippo". I decided to download Ccleaner directly from piriform.com as I usually do. I got to the site, clicked to download the latest version, but a page from Filehippo appeared instead. I clicked the download link, but nothing appeared to happen.

I repeated the process twice more, then just downloaded the program from the original alert I got from Filehippo. Later that evening, I was reading a blog when a video ad popped up advertising a well known product, but also inviting me to join skipit, a service that allowed one to “skip over” web advertising for a fee. I declined the invitation, closed the ad and continued to read the article. The same invitation and similar ads popped up thrice more in the ten minutes it took me to finish the article. At that time I assumed it was just that blogger’s way of monetizing his site.

This morning the ad-vids and invitations continued on all web sites and in all four of my browsers (IE, FF, Chrome, and Pale Moon). I searched both Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs list and Revo Uninstaller’s as well, but did not find any software listed that I had not installed prior to the CCleaner incident.

I then checked the extensions and plug-ins of all the browsers and only FF had an unfamiliar one that I removed. I rebooted the browsers individually and have re-booted the laptop itself each time and the problem continued.

I updated and scanned using Kapersky Internet Security, SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes. Non of them reported any problems except for cookies.

I downloaded and ran AdwCleaner, Junkware-Removal-Tool and Combofix. Upon completion I rebooted the laptop. Neither the ads nor the invitations appeared in FF, Chrome or PaleMoon. I couldn't tell about IE because it would neither access the home page nor navigate to any other web site.

I rebooted the laptop again and IE still couldn't access the home page; when I attempted to go to another site, the error message "Navigation Canceled" appeared.

I disabled Kapersky and tried accessing other sites without success. I booted into Safe Mode with Networking and IE worked without incident. I’ve run sfc /scannow which said it did not detect any problems with system integrity.

I've finally figured out 1) that I should have stopped short of attempting Combofix on my own and 2) I won't get her laptop up and running again without some help. (She needs it for working remotely so just using another browser isn't an option).

I would appreciate any overnight help offered. I've been at this since 0900 and its now a ten to 2. I kept the logs generated by the programs I mentioned above and can furnish them upon request. The next post is the system summary.

Thanks in advance.

Cab

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2014 - 10:04 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bearspencer

bearspencer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:56 AM

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II N850 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 3
RAM: 3834 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 411104 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1442
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users