Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding onto this tower for gaming purposes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaR.

AmandaR.

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:03 AM

Hi,

A long time ago I spent $1500 on an ASUS desktop that I used for gaming, and it was totally awesome - but I sold it a few years ago. Now I find myself lacking another $1500 bucks to just throw onto a computer....so I was wondering...if I purchased this computer from Best Buy: HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Harddrive for $249 and just upgraded it with memory/ram and a good graphics card from New Egg if that would be simple enough to do and save some $$$. I am looking to play WoW and Guildwars 2 (all the time, every day) and to browse internet, do downloads (for gaming patches for Wow and Guildwars which are huge at times!) and store pictures/video.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:43 AM

Hi, that's a pretty good idea but the issue you would run into is the case itself is just too small for a sized graphics card to fit and also the power supply needs to be upgraded in order to run a reasonably decent card. I had a look around on the Best Buy website and the best desktop that i could find is the Dell Insprion i3847 which has a i3 processor with 8GB of ram. Any lower then that, is the Pentium territory which is certainly not suitable for gaming and will create a bottleneck once a mid-range graphics card is installed.

Edited by killerx525, 19 June 2014 - 01:50 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

Like killerx525 has stated, to buil a gaming PC, you're going to need gaming components in the computer when you purchase it.

You'll have to trust me on this one, a $249 computer isn't going to have much of a PSU, CPU, a MB with extra RAM slots. You may wish to jump over to Costco & check out their selection of computers. Oftentimes you'll save $200-$400 over OEM prices (I saved $350 on this one).

You need something worth building onto, or build one yoursef.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users