Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For Internet Explorer 11 users, no update now means no security fixes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

When Microsoft released the Windows 8.1 Update, IT feathers were ruffled by Microsoft's decision to make it a compulsory update: without it, Windows 8.1 systems would no longer receive security fixes. As spotted by Computerworld's Gregg Keizer, Microsoft is applying the same rules, at least in part, to Windows 7.

Windows 7 users who've installed Internet Explorer 11 are required to install the KB2929437 update. This is the Internet Explorer 11 update that corresponds to the Windows 8.1 Update; it doesn't just include security fixes for Microsoft's browser. There are also some new and improved features, including a more capable WebGL implementation and some additional high performance JavaScript features. If users don't install the update, Windows Update will not provide any more security fixes for their browser.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/06/internet-explorer-11s-new-update-ethos-for-security-fixes-youll-need-new-features/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:10 AM

I recall the update but didn't realize the implications behind it, probably because IE is seldom used on my computers, was going to open it & see if there are any visual differences.

However IE11 is now freezing & EMET 4.1 is giving a 'SimExecFlow' error. Will sort it it out in the morning.

Or maybe it's better security wise to leave IE frozen? :grinner:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

maybe it's better security wise to leave IE frozen?

Didn't I read some place that IE11  & EMET were unhackable?

Oh hang on I posted it. :bananas:

Only one cash prize went unclaimed at Pwn2Own 2014. All major browsers were hacked, but hackers were unable to claim the $150,000 grand prize for hacking IE 11 secured with EMET.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537150/pwn2own-2014-ie-11-secure/

IE frozen

Thats why they couldn't hack it. :hysterical:

Edited by NickAu1, 19 June 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

I removed EMET & IE11 opened right away.

Seems to be faster than the older version (10), which I still have on my Dell OEM Windows 8 install, which can't be updated to IE11.

As to appearance, can't tell any difference. However the fact that it loads faster is great in itself.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users