Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijackthis Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 suj23

suj23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

I was putting cable modem into my computer today and the guy that came over had to get rid of some bad programs from my computer to make it run faster. I already had cable modem, but had to switch to a different provider. The guy told me to try and get rid of HiJackThis and he said it was a trojan. He said that eventually it will eat up my harddrive... I had trouble believing it, so I came to ask you guys? He also got rid of Ad-Aware.

Thanks for reading..

Edited by suj23, 27 May 2006 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

If this isn't a joke, you should report this idiot to the company he works for. What company is this? Why wouldn't your other modem work?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

What was this guy smoking??? Seriously. Ad-aware gets rid of bad stuff!!!! And hijack this is a good tool for experts to help those of us who have no clue what they are doing (ie. me!).

There are plenty of other ways to get your compy to run faster: more memory, defragmenting, cleaning out programs and files you don't use or need anymore, etc. I'm sure if you provide more info, we all could help you! :thumbsup:

I agree with buddy215: report this moron!!!!

#4 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

Shows the intelligence of some of the idiots big computer companies send to help us... disgusting. Recently, BellSouth was ripping my family off. We were paying for 2.5 MBPS but they were giving us 500 KBPS and charging us $5 more than the 2.5 MBPS price!!!! When we called, an idiot picked up and went on "helping" us. In the end, he told us that AVG, Sophos, Spybot, Ewido, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Guard, and numerous other security programs should be disabled or uninstalled and that using Opera in conjunction with no security would give us 2.5 MBPS. What an idiot! As of now, after talking with the manager and settling things out we've gotten a refund for the ripped off months and have the speed we've been paying for. Bottom line: Some people are just idiots. In your case, reinstall Ad-Aware SE, HJT, and any other anti-malware programs you originally had because uninstalling them is not the solution for anything.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#5 suj23

suj23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

What was this guy smoking??? Seriously. Ad-aware gets rid of bad stuff!!!! And hijack this is a good tool for experts to help those of us who have no clue what they are doing (ie. me!).

There are plenty of other ways to get your compy to run faster: more memory, defragmenting, cleaning out programs and files you don't use or need anymore, etc. I'm sure if you provide more info, we all could help you! :thumbsup:

I agree with buddy215: report this moron!!!!

That was pretty much it. For someone who asked it was Comcast. I don't know what happened with the old modem, but I had to put a new one in. He basically looked over my computer trying to make it go faster and got rid of some un-needed programs. He got rid of some that weren't needed and got rid of Spybot, Ad-Aware, and at the end he told me to try and un-install HiJackThis, because it wasn't a directory in the install/un-install thing. And he also told me to seach my computer for all HiJackThis and delete everything that was found, and he said, if you don't it will eat up your harddrive in a matter of time... So I don't know much about computers so I thought I would ask some experts here, that know a lot about computers and safety of computers.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:16 AM

It is an excellent program,as are the others you mention,with many security sites lauding them.
BleepingComputer

CNET

Major Geeks

to name a few.
If you had hijack installed as a temp file ,he would be correct to delete it. But then to install it properly.
if you need those instructions they are HERE

Welcome to the Forum...........

Edited by boopme, 28 May 2006 - 12:17 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:51 AM

A few more questions if you don't mind. Why was Hijack This installed on your computer? Were the programs that the cableguy removed up to date? Did you buy the new modem or will you be charged a monthly fee? Are you having problems with your computer such as popup ads, etc. Why did you change internet provider? Not being nosey, just trying to get a clearer picture before advising further.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 suj23

suj23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

A few more questions if you don't mind. Why was Hijack This installed on your computer? Were the programs that the cableguy removed up to date? Did you buy the new modem or will you be charged a monthly fee? Are you having problems with your computer such as popup ads, etc. Why did you change internet provider? Not being nosey, just trying to get a clearer picture before advising further.

HiJackThis was there because I had many problems way before, and they got fixed after a while and didn't think I needed to get rid of it. The programs were up to date. I'm not sure, my Dad knows about that, but it's probably monthly for Cocmast. The modem just stopped connecting that's why.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:44 AM

First line of defense is a firewall. Your new modem may have a firewall, but the experts agree that you should also have a software firewall. Next line of defense is a browser other than IE. Firefox is the best. 3rd line of defense is an Antivirus program. 4th line is at least 2 antispyware/adware programs that work in real time such as Spyware Doctor 8.0 and Spyware Blaster. The free edition of AdAware is good to have around for scanning and removing malware but blocking is disabled. There is no need to purchase any of these programs. Spybot has some great features, too. Sadly, you still need IE for some things like updating Windows. Speaking of updating, always keep all your programs up to date. Especially Windows and Java. Hope this answers your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask.
The bottom line is the "cableguy" gave you some bad advice and he should not have removed the programs mentioned by name. It is cheaper to purchase a modem than to rent. They range in price from $20 up. Generally the cheaper ones don't have an internet filter (firewall) built in. Some have more jacks etc.

#10 suj23

suj23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

First line of defense is a firewall. Your new modem may have a firewall, but the experts agree that you should also have a software firewall. Next line of defense is a browser other than IE. Firefox is the best. 3rd line of defense is an Antivirus program. 4th line is at least 2 antispyware/adware programs that work in real time such as Spyware Doctor 8.0 and Spyware Blaster. The free edition of AdAware is good to have around for scanning and removing malware but blocking is disabled. There is no need to purchase any of these programs. Spybot has some great features, too. Sadly, you still need IE for some things like updating Windows. Speaking of updating, always keep all your programs up to date. Especially Windows and Java. Hope this answers your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask.
The bottom line is the "cableguy" gave you some bad advice and he should not have removed the programs mentioned by name. It is cheaper to purchase a modem than to rent. They range in price from $20 up. Generally the cheaper ones don't have an internet filter (firewall) built in. Some have more jacks etc.

Thanks for the info. The modem they give is free you just have to pay monthly for the broadband internet, plus I have TV cable so the bill combines with that together. I have some programs like Reg Mechanic and CleanUp! ... I have other better ones then those.. but, how do I get rid of them? Just delete them because there's no directory in the uninstall thing?

Also what software firewall do you use?

Edited by suj23, 28 May 2006 - 11:21 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:09 PM

You mean the Add/Remove directory? If you remove anything be deleting files, just go slow and leave the deleted files in the recycle bin until you have determined that the files you removed hasn't affected your other programs. Like a month or so.
I use Zone Alarm free for a firewall and AVG free for antivirus. I love Firefox! Hey, did you know that Skype is offering FREE phone calls to anywhere in the US and Canada. I am trying it out and it works perfectly. The offer is good till the end of the year and you can get a phone number for incoming calls of $10 for 3 months.
Be careful using any program like Reg Mechanic that alters the registry. You can really screw up your computer very easily. If you feel compelled to use it please make sure to back up any changes. I like the price of the modem.

#12 suj23

suj23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

You mean the Add/Remove directory? If you remove anything be deleting files, just go slow and leave the deleted files in the recycle bin until you have determined that the files you removed hasn't affected your other programs. Like a month or so.
I use Zone Alarm free for a firewall and AVG free for antivirus. I love Firefox! Hey, did you know that Skype is offering FREE phone calls to anywhere in the US and Canada. I am trying it out and it works perfectly. The offer is good till the end of the year and you can get a phone number for incoming calls of $10 for 3 months.
Be careful using any program like Reg Mechanic that alters the registry. You can really screw up your computer very easily. If you feel compelled to use it please make sure to back up any changes. I like the price of the modem.

Yeah, how do I get rid of Reg Mechanic... I checked inthe Add/Remove directory and it's not there. There's only a icon on my desktop thats regmachanic.exe... Should I just delete that then?

And do you know the program Cleanup! ... Does that work or should I get rid of it?

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

I guess I wasn't clear in my last reply. If you want to uninstall something and their is no listing for it in the ADD/Remove directory, you can remove the associated files, but do not delete the removed files from the Recycle Bin for a month or so to make sure you didn't delete a file that would affect anything else on your computer. Below I have given you a link to Cleanup! that will explain what it is. It is a very useful tool. You may want to get someone who can work with you on deleting the files you no longer want. If you know someone you trust and you both have XP they can help you remotely by logging onto your computer. Just a thought.
www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users