Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Wired & Wireless PC, only slow computer on the network - Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nated89

nated89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hey everyone, 

So, recently built a new gaming PC, with (unfortunately) windows 8.1.

I have been experiencing painfully slow internet with both wired and wireless connections.

Have updated drivers, changed adapter settings, on my wireless card (ASUS PCE-N53 Wireless-N PCI Express Adapter)

the speed on www.speedtest.net can jump from around 0.60Mbps to a maximum to to about 1.70Mbps

other computers on the network get a consistent speed around 6Mbps.

Any help would be so very very much appreciated, as i am on the brink of a complete meltdown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

I just tried the speedtest link from your message above and it gave me this result (running windows 8.1):

3572339429.png

Make sure there are no possible sources of interference around your PC like bluetooth or other wireless device.

Edited by badr0b0t, 18 June 2014 - 10:22 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 nated89

nated89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

Cheers for the reply,

So other wireless devices are getting a much higher speed reading at the same location as the PC im having trouble with, also the PC is getting the same speeds while directly connected to the modem/router through ethernet connection.

I wish i could get close to those speeds you got but unfortunately here in Australia that won't be for a few decades I imagine :( 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

This is something that I do more as a maintenance thing about every 2 weeks & it keeps the connection fairly speedy.

If you haven't tried this already, it's worth a shot & free. Prior to doing this, look at your modem & take notice of the flashing lights, so that you'll know what to look for.

One at a time, beginning with your modem, unplug the power cable from the back of it. Allow to stand for 30 seconds, plug it back in. Once you see that all of the lights are blinking as normal, then do the same with your wireless router, Not to worry, no settings will be lost.

Then run speedtest again & see if you see a difference, If this has never been done, or hasn't recently, the computers that are speedy will be faster, as this flushes the lines. It's always the 1st step that the ISP always has me do as troubleshooting when I need to call, that's why I make a habit of doing it.

Hope this trick proves to be useful, it won't harm anything.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users